• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appliances for Renovated Unit

dereklotts

Hi,
I am trying to choose a dishwasher, range, refrigerator and a microwave for a unit I am renovating to sell. I think I prefer mid-range price and quality, so not cheap and nasty and not too pricey. What would you recommend for my situation? Thanks.

I agree with @gfweb. The nice thing about GE is that their offering is so broad -- you can spend anywhere from $400 to $4000 on a range, for example -- that (especially with a brand discount) almost any budget can be met.

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

2 hours ago, dereklotts said:

Thank you all. It seems that GE would be a good solution. I was searching on the internet and stumbled upon this Ge PK7800SKSS double wall ovenmicrowave, any thoughts on this?

Built-in microwaves are sort of a premium item in that they cost a lot more than a countertop unit.  Personally, I'd like it but I'm not sure if it's worth the premium you'd pay since many people view microwaves as disposable dorm-room commodities. 

One thing that I'd see as a real plus would be an exhaust hood that vents to the outside.  People that don't cook much probably wouldn't care.

This is a very good time to buy appliances (here in the states, anyway). Home Depot is running a special based on how many appliances you buy at a time. If you buy 2 appliances you save $50; if you buy 3 appliances you save $100; if you buy 4 appliances you save $200.  Lowe’s is running a nearly identical promotion this month except you get the money back in gift cards, not cash.  A lot of independent stores are offering similar deals and many of them (and the big-box stores, too) will price match if you can bring in proof of a lower price elsewhere. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dereklotts said:

Thank you all. It seems that GE would be a good solution. I was searching on the internet and stumbled upon this Ge PK7800SKSS double wall ovenmicrowave, any thoughts on this?

A few questions:

1) When you say "unit," that sounds like a condo or co-op as opposed to a house. Correct?

2) That's a very nice appliance, but it qualifies as "pricey" in my book." What would be your max price for the complete set of appliances?

3) For this particular unit and asking price, what sort of person would be buying it? Specifically, would a little better set of appliances make the unit easier to sell and would you be able to get the extra couple of thousand back in the selling price?

4) Do you have to have a wall oven and/or microwave? In other words, would a standard range w/oven be OK? How about an over-the-range microwave?

5) An exhaust hood venting to the outside would be a great feature. Is it feasible?

6) Would it be a standard 30" stove? Or if it's a cooktop, what size (30" or 36?)? Gas or electric or induction? And what size fridge?

I've had good experiences dealing with Goedecker's. That double unit you mentioned is $10 less there. GE has some big rebates going on now, too. Here's just one of them.

Good luck!

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer