• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camel Milk

gfron1

Anyone who knows my cooking knows that I'm all about supporting local foods...well...apparently I will have a few gallons of local camel milk here in St. Louis next week. I'm thinking yogurt and fresh cheese to start, and maybe make a caramel, but what else? Anyone use it before? Suggestions? Warnings?

• Like 4

Now that's a first for me (and probably a last): "local camel milk" and "St. Louis" in the same sentence. :B

• Haha 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

28 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Anyone who knows my cooking knows that I'm all about supporting local foods...well...apparently I will have a few gallons of local camel milk here in St. Louis next week. I'm thinking yogurt and fresh cheese to start, and maybe make a caramel, but what else? Anyone use it before? Suggestions? Warnings?

I have no first hand experience, but the first thing that popped in my head was a salty panna cotta with "maghreb"-type flavourings (woody/resin) and dried fruits on top. Bit of a tangine flavor profile, but milky ...

I do like your camel caramel idea :wink:

• Like 1

I heard two stories about camel milk this year: one on NPR

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/02/15/514544612/once-restricted-to-herders-camel-milk-is-about-to-hit-the-shelves-across-india

and the other on the Milk Street podcast (which I keep listening to, even though at least once an episode I hear something that makes me want to hurl the iPod into the middle of the street and let the cars run it over, PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!)

https://www.177milkstreet.com/radio/the-quick-palestine-cook-bold-easy-fresh

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Got to wondering  where the camel milk came from.  Only camels I'm aware of there are those  at the zoo or Grants Farm.  

Never had milk but I was gifted a roast from Jungle Jim's market a few years back.  Not a lot of camel  recipes out there and I might have been better off looking for advice on how to soften an old leather saddle.  Went the low and slow method in the slow cooker.  Wasn't near low or slow enough.

I suspect the beast had died of old age after a lifetime of hauling his bony ass up and down sand dunes and spitting at tourists.  He got the last laugh

for sure!

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, teonzo said:

If you create the stage name Rob Acornoley then it's perfect.

Teo

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out the R & A - thought I was developing dementia

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out the R & A - thought I was developing dementia

I would prescribe an enigmatography exam to the doctor.

(I'm joking of course, in case it is still not clear it's: camel + RA = caRAmel --- Rob initials are RC so they need rewording to fit)

Teo

Teo

Judging from the names and  locations, I'm going to guess these are Amish owned places.  Camel dairies seem to be one of the latest things among them.  Petty much run out of the puppy mill business so maybe this is the next big thing. Not that I'm comparing the two.  We had a huge mill not far from us that shut down.  I'll have to watch for camels now.  Okay, back to the main topic, sorry about that....