• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raw Milk from UDDER MILK COMPANY - Health ALERT for Brucellosis!

andiesenji

UDDER MILK - a New Jersey company supplying RAW MILK

The CDC has issued a HEALTH ALERT!   Food Safety News

ALL customers who have consumed Raw Milk products need IMMEDIATE MEDICAL CARE!

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

44 minutes ago, gfweb said:

No amount of explaining will convince people that this raw milk is a bad idea.

Yet I drank it for 40+ years without issue.

Some friends and family, much, MUCH, longer.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

11 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Yet I drank it for 40+ years without issue.

Some friends and family, much, MUCH, longer.

The difference is that you probably drank the milk from one (or a small number of cows) cow.  Commercially distributed milk is the commingled milk of many hundreds or thousands of cows.  One infected cow contaminates the whole batch. 

7 hours ago, dscheidt said:

The difference is that you probably drank the milk from one (or a small number of cows) cow.

As many as 100+.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

13 hours ago, dscheidt said:

The difference is that you probably drank the milk from one (or a small number of cows) cow.  Commercially distributed milk is the commingled milk of many hundreds or thousands of cows.  One infected cow contaminates the whole batch. 

Or you got really, really lucky.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

9 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Or you got really, really lucky.

Maybe, but I grew up in dairy country—I know dozens and dozens of folks who drink raw milk every day.

Drinking raw milk from a farm you do not know...  That's a bad idea.  I grew up drinking raw milk from our own cows.  The first time brucelosis hit our herd, Dad stopped bringing milk from the tank home with him.  Its not worth the risk. 

I have purchased raw milk from a local farm for cheesemaking, but my first step was to check their history and reputation.  In a small, close-knit community, they had done a good job of making certain they were reliable in taking care of the animals and people around them.  There was another certified raw milk dairy nearby.  Their reputation was nowhere near as good, and I would never have bought milk from them.  Sure enough, they had a similar recall a couple of years after we moved to the area.

• Like 2

You may well have been very lucky.  When I lived in Wisconsin in the mid-'50s there was an outbreak of Brucellosis and also Undulant fever in humans, caused by brucellosis and it can be totally debilitating.  Several kids in my school who lived on dairy farms were affected, as were some of their parents.

One family has all but the mother affected and so were their two dairymen.  The health inspectors quarantined 20 farms in the area and the commercial companies refused to buy milk from any farms in the two counties affected, even though some were free of the infection.  

Our star basketball player went from being a top athlete to walking with difficulty, hunched over like an old man.  

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

There is no doubt that potential risk exists.

Raw milk may be contaminated with brucella, listeria, salmonella, e. coli, or campylobacter.

So why do some people choose to consume high-risk foods such as raw milk, raw oysters, raw fish (sushi), raw beef (steak tartare,) raw egg, raw fruits and vegetables, etc.?

The answer is—flavor!

Those willing to accept the risk should be permitted to consume whatever THEY choose!

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

There is no doubt that potential risk exists.

Raw milk may be contaminated with brucella, listeria, salmonella, e. coli, or campylobacter.

So why do some people choose to consume high-risk foods such as raw milk, raw oysters, raw fish (sushi), raw beef (steak tartare,) raw egg, raw fruits and vegetables, etc.?

The answer is—flavor!

Those willing to accept the risk should be permitted to consume whatever THEY choose!

Certainly they should.  But they should also accept the responsibility of consuming such foods deliberately.  Do you know about the mushroom poisoning of a family in the Bay area a year ago? They picked and ate mushrooms that looked like ones they had harvested before but these were the "death cap" variety.

The entire family was hospitalized and an adult woman and a toddler required liver transplants. They had no insurance and no funds so the TAXPAYERS of Calfornia paid for their exotic taste in foods.  Several years ago, I think in the late '90s, there was a spate of people affected by parasites from seafood, I think it was mussels. They too were treated and not all had insurance and therefore we paid for them also.  Since they harvested the seafood, there was no restaurant or supplier to sue to recoup the cost of their treatment.  

People have to be treated and I have no argument when they become ill THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN - as in the case with the botulism in the cheese sauce at a roadside place a few months ago - but when someone deliberately engages in KNOWN risky behavior, they should be prepared to foot the cost of their treatment if they become ill, i.e.  have INSURANCE for medical care. 

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

If they choose to take the risk—the responsibility should be THEIRS!

• Like 2