• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Uses for leftover cola?

Cronker

Hello all 

my partner loves his Coca Cola and there is always cartons of it in our house.

but, he can't stand it if it gets flat, which it very often does once he opens the can.

thankfully, I'm completely opposite and enjoy cola only when it is flat.  My ying to his yang.

now, however, I'm trying to use flat coke in other ways.

im currently trying to make a coke buttercream for cupcakes and found a recipe online that I'm trying out.

any other ideas?

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title for clarity (log)

It makes a brilliant marinade and then baste for ribs on the BBQ (and most likely ones done in your oven). Do not marinade for too long as it is also a tenderiser.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

1. Get a 6 1/2 oz. Coke in a glass bottle.

2. Get a single-serve bag of salted peanuts.

3. Pour peanuts into Coke.

4. Drink.

If I had a dollar for every one of those I'd consumed as a kid...

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

There's a great recipe hereabouts in the China cooking forum from former-poster hzrt8w for soy sauce chicken using Coca-cola as part of the braising liquid.  

Hmmm...having some trouble finding it, though.  Can't recall if it was a separate post on its own or part of a different thread. 

Anyway, it's really delicious, although it's been awhile since I've made it.

ETA: Nevermind! Found it! 

Edited by Beebs (log)
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, TicTac said:

As funny as it might seem, it is not a joke.  It can remove oil stains, clean rust - heck, it will dissolve a nail if left in it for a day or two.

Yet people still drink the stuff!

I don't drink coke or other soft drinks, but you can say pretty much the same thing about grapefruit juice, and a lot of other beverages as well.

I had always heard that Coke would dissolve a tooth overnight.  We tired it ala Myth Busters and didn't happen.  Check out the truth on Snoops.

Not only did it not work, I had nothing for the damn Tooth Fairy to collect, hence no loot under the pillow.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cakewalk said:

I don't drink coke or other soft drinks, but you can say pretty much the same thing about grapefruit juice, and a lot of other beverages as well.

No other beverages that I am aware of will dissolve a piece of steel.  Nor remove rust.

Never heard of the tooth theory, but I recall a number of science experiments as a teen and had nails vanish in cans of coke.

15 hours ago, TicTac said:

As funny as it might seem, it is not a joke.  It can remove oil stains, clean rust - heck, it will dissolve a nail if left in it for a day or two.

Yet people still drink the stuff!

Yup, we drink it. The carbonic acid flows down into the stomach, which already has acids in it. My esophagus is none the worse for wear after 50+ years of consuming the stuff.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

This is my son's marinade recipe for Korean beef  short ribs.  I admit it is a lot of sesame oil. You can cut it in half and probably still get good results.  

Charlie’s Kalbi

2 packeges 3 lbs 
Serving 4 strips/2 ounces

1/2 Cup. soy sauce
6 teaspoons sugar ( 3 oz)
5 teaspoons water
4 talebspoons Korean rice wine/sherry
3 tablespoons corn syrup
1 Tablespoons minced garlic /2 tbsp
1.2 teaspoons grated ginger
1/2 Cup sesame oil
1 cup Coca Cola
chopped green onions
pinch pepper

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MSRadell said:

How about Coca-Cola salad?  I've had it many times and it's always very good. There obviously are many recipes and flavors you can make it in but here's one directly from Coca-Cola for a starting point:

Coca-Cola cherry salad

You just have to be kidding, no?

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

You just have to be kidding, no?

Not kidding at all, my mother-in-law has been making one forever and they are actually very good. If the cola is flat or not doesn't really matter.

• Like 2

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

1 minute ago, MSRadell said:

Not kidding at all, my mother-in-law has been making one forever and they are actually very good. If the cola is flat or not doesn't really matter.

I will have to take your word for it. I’m normally perfectly open to people enjoying whatever they enjoy but this one really made me, shall I say, nauseous.  So I will have to grant you your right to enjoy what you enjoy. :)  

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 11/21/2017 at 3:33 PM, IowaDee said:

I had always heard that Coke would dissolve a tooth overnight. 

I can attest that this is total BS - because we did this experiment in grade school.  It takes three months at least (or however long a semester is).  And it's not due directly from the ingredients, but the bacteria that are feeding on it.

To be sure, that same thing will happen in your mouth if you let it, but it's not the ingredients.

So brush your teeth kids.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MSRadell said:

I grew up in the US South and I adore "congealed salads".  As long as they don't contain vegetables or meat I love them all.  You don't really taste Coke in this, just like you don't really taste Coke in BBQ sauce or ham or anything else that was recommended.  

• Like 2