• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sausage Roll Question

Kim Shook

54 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Hmmmm.  Hadn't thought about these in ages but I do believe that everything necessary to make up a batch is right here in the house!

I'm telling ya--they have saved me so many times.  So simple to  make and freeze.   So easy to bake and serve.

• Like 4

Yup! Make & Freeze for the win!

Perfect for busy weekends like this one has been. Sunday night grab a couple of these out of the freezey, 20 minutes later, I have something to stuff in the lunchbox that makes me look like one of those homemade got their sh!t together mums 😂

20181118_164224.thumb.jpg.b02b51fa43572d8f64f6ebc64b86b89a.jpg

20181118_164155.thumb.jpg.41c8b40f17807293c5b172c0aa3a2890.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Just slinging this in here, for a big slicing roll of sausage heaven I have always gone down the suet crust route much easier to control temperatures in my experience and the outside crunch is a real treat!

• Like 2
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, Lindsey said:

Just slinging this in here, for a big slicing roll of sausage heaven I have always gone down the suet crust route much easier to control temperatures in my experience and the outside crunch is a real treat!

I love a crust with suet.  My stepdad was British and when he could find it (easier now, but very hard to find in our area in the 1970's), he would make suet pastry.  He would sometimes make steak and kidney pud sans kidney just for me (my 9 year old self was NOT eating kidneys).  

• Like 6

On 11/17/2018 at 10:16 PM, Shelby said:

I'm telling ya--they have saved me so many times.  So simple to  make and freeze.   So easy to bake and serve.

Sadly, I lost my batch when my upright freezer gave up the ghost. I have a new(er) one now, so I'll soon be making up a batch to have at my disposal for the holidays.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 year later...

Today's preparation.

Plain old sausage meat, fresh bread crumbs soaked in milk, a little sage, a little onion salt and black pepper for the filling.  Art of the Pie butter/lard pastry.

Two bite size.

delicious

terrible picture....need a new camera

DSC03302.thumb.jpg.14810b8758616b54adda749d324abac0.jpg

Edited by Okanagancook
Spelling, what else. (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 4