• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sausage Roll Question

Kim Shook

@Kim Shook  Thanks for starting this topic and @JohnT  thanks for the recipe!

Kim, what kind of sausage did you use?  Is it heresy to skip the cut up veggies?  I'm hosting a Christmas Brunch on Sunday and I'm wanting to make these.  And, also, are these ok at room temperature?  The guests that I am having are usually running late lol.  Or, I guess I could pop them in the oven when they get here, but I kind of like to have everything ready.

Just wanted to report in on the sausage rolls that I made from the link that @Anna N shared just upthread here. 

I posted a photo over in the savory baking thread here and have since had an opportunity to bake them directly from frozen in the CSO.  Steam-bake @ 400°F for 20 min worked very well and I believe they were more evenly browned than when I cooked off a second batch (again from frozen) on convect-bake @ 400°F, which required a few more minutes.   In both cases, the temp of the sausage meat in the middle of the little rolls was 200°F or a bit higher so I assume they were safely cooked. 

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

And, also, are these ok at room temperature?  The guests that I am having are usually running late lol.

In my opinion, they are OK at RT, but much better warm.  If you use the CSO, you could always have a small plate ready "on time" and then cook up more when late comers arrive.  I believe they should reheat very well in the CSO but sadly, (or perhaps happily for my waistline xD) Trader Joe's puff pastry is sold out for the year at my local stores so I can't conduct further experiments!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

And, also, are these ok at room temperature?  

Much, much better warm. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Shelby said:

@Kim Shook  Thanks for starting this topic and @JohnT  thanks for the recipe!

Kim, what kind of sausage did you use?  Is it heresy to skip the cut up veggies?  I'm hosting a Christmas Brunch on Sunday and I'm wanting to make these.  And, also, are these ok at room temperature?  The guests that I am having are usually running late lol.  Or, I guess I could pop them in the oven when they get here, but I kind of like to have everything ready.

I just used Jimmy Dean regular.  I skipped the veggies and they were sublime.  We had them again today for lunch.  I rolled them, refrigerated the long rolls until firm, cut them into maybe 1 to 1 1/2-inch pieces, froze those and then put them into bags in the freezer.  That way, you can cook just what you need.  Put them on parchment or non-stick foil lined baking sheets, let thaw until the dough is still chilled, but not hard, brush with beaten egg and bake at 400F for about 15-20 minutes.  I agree they are better warm, but why not get them all cooked a little bit before your guests arrive and them pop them back in the oven for 5 minutes?  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Is there ever any sharp cheddar cheese added or would it all melt out during baking?  Just wondering.....

I am so glad I keep smelling salts handy because I needed them.  Cheese! Cheese! They are sausage rolls not bait for mouse traps. Horrors. xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

I am so glad I keep smelling salts handy because I needed them.  Cheese! Cheese! They are sausage rolls not bait for mouse traps. Horrors. xD

Ok.  Point taken.

I was just asking for a friend.......:ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ok.  Point taken.

I was just asking for a friend.......:ph34r:

This is eGullet. I think gilding the lily is quite acceptable. :B xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

11 minutes ago, Toliver said:

This is eGullet. I think gilding the lily is quite acceptable. :B xD

Gild the lily. Leave the sausage rolls!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Is there ever any sharp cheddar cheese added or would it all melt out during baking?  Just wondering.....

Ok, don't tell @Anna N this, but I've sprinkled the egg wash brushed pastry with a little grated Parm and that was lovely.  However, I really agree that Cheddar just wouldn't go.  Cheddar goes GREAT with those little cocktail sausages that you make pigs in a blanket with (and they are SO much better made with puff pastry than with Crescent roll dough), but it just doesn't go with sausage roll, in my opinion.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Like I said, it was just a distant, dumb friend that wanted to know....   :ph34r:

:D

I'll be your scapegoat Shelby.  I'll admit to wondering about the cheese , I've never had an authentic sausage roll, only pigs in blankets! 

• Haha 2

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Like I said, it was just a distant, dumb friend that wanted to know....   :ph34r:

:D

Well, if your distant, dumb friend is really set on the idea, Google could lead them to several recipes that put cheese either in the roll, under the sausage or on top of the rolls or both so it does seem to work.

I was introduced to sausage rolls by a coworker from the UK who always brought them to our holiday pot-luck lunches so the non-cheese version is the only one I would call a sausage roll,  particularly at this time of year.   If you happen to be in the position of introducing anyone to the sausage roll, I strongly suggest you consider the power you wield and remember the power of tradition xD

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I'm considering putting all of my cheese on the porch whilst I make and bake the sausage rolls.  Wouldn't want even a whiff to get on them.

I have always known you as a very wise woman. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to making the rolls.  Very very good.  Not perfectly rolled, but good enough for us :)

Thanks to all for the help.

No cheese was hurt in the making of this food.

IMG_4056.JPG.863a62ab71dbdc1f4036c147f885e606.JPG

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

Finally got around to making the rolls.  Very very good.  Not perfectly rolled, but good enough for us :)

IMG_4056.JPG.863a62ab71dbdc1f4036c147f885e606.JPG

They look great, @Shelby!  I wanted to "like" AND "laugh"!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

The squashage rolls look great, but what is that cheesy looking thing in the middle of the plate!?!?!

• Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The squashage rolls look great, but what is that cheesy looking thing in the middle of the plate!?!?!

I bet it is @Shelby‘s jalapeño mustard. 

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

I bet it is @Shelby‘s jalapeño mustard. 

Anna is right :)  

I don't like sausage rolls (at least the dodgy ones from the bakeries here, but you could try to sous vide the meat first. I think SV snags have been discussed previously.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 9 months later...

I just have to bump this up for the holiday season.  

I can't tell you guys how often having these in the freezer has saved me stress and time. 

I use them to make a quick breakfast for Ronnie in the morning with an egg.  I use them for appetizers. Heck I've used them for dinner.

SO handy.

I just made a huge batch.

• Like 7