• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to know if a cake shop has excellent products?

MrJonathanGreen40

One of my friends is leaving for Spain next week, and I’m planning to surprise her with a party before she leaves. Since she’s a huge lover of sweets, I decided to buy her a cake. I don’t know where to start looking, but my brother suggested that I buy from this online provider of custom cakes. I checked their website, and I think they have cakes that my friend will love. I haven’t bought anything yet because I want to be 100% sure that their cakes are truly excellent. Do you have any idea how I should examine cakes through the Internet? What are the things that I must take into consideration? Thanks!

Does your country have some sort of review website? here in the US, we have yelp, where customers talk about their experiences at restaurants, bakeries, etc.

I looked at their website. While it is impossible for me to rate this shop's flavors, I would say that the quality is somewhere in the middle of the pack, not the best but not the worst. I am a pastry chef. I have attended international competitions in pastry, and have seen world-class cakes. This bakery is missing many details. I don't like the hulls left on the strawberries. (nothing inedible should be served) The piping is sloppy, and much of the assembly isn't great. It's better than a supermarket cake, but, not a top tier item.

I am sorry, I cannot help you much more, welcome to eGullet and good luck to you!

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)
  • Like 2

are you near them to be able to buy a pastry and see what it is like?  Perhaps call a leading hotel and ask to speak to their pastry chef and see what the recommendation is.  Or perhaps call the most sought-after wedding planner in Dubai and see what cake shop they recommend.

I agree with Lisa's assessment; they have a lot of custom designs and lots of fondant work (which is neatly done; at least I didn't see any glaring errors but it's not top tier,  You might not have a lot of choices  though.

Edited by JeanneCake
Edited to remove reference to Yelp because Lisa's post has it! (log)