• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buenos Aires & Sao Paulo

anil

Imagine my delight in leaving NYC to these warmer shores, just when the city was in the midst of a cold spell. Here I am, warm and sunny weather with so much eye-candy as this is vacation time here in South America.

My report on food will follow whn I get a chance to visit another internet-cafe.

Chau.

anil

Anil, I was in BA last week. Blue skies, 27 degrees. It was hard to come back.

If you haven't tried it before, I recommend Sucre, Sucre 676 in Belgrano, (0) 11 4782-9082. A colleague dined there last week and had a terrific time. I wrote an earlier review here.

Enjoy!

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

• 11 months later...
Anil, I was in BA last week. Blue skies, 27 degrees. It was hard to come back.

If you haven't tried it before, I recommend Sucre, Sucre 676 in Belgrano, (0) 11 4782-9082. A colleague dined there last week and had a terrific time. I wrote an earlier review here.

Enjoy!

On the road again :cool: Just in time to leave the mad-cow-infected Burger Club :biggrin: and the warm climbs of GRU/EZE ..........................

Did I say that paulistas and portenos are really beautiful ? ...

[edited to add compliments to the more intelligent gender ]

Edited by anil (log)

anil

I am planning a trip down to Buenos Aries in May. I am so excited. None of us have ever been there, we will probably be staying at the Marriott. What guides will be best to start getting myself educated, food, culture, interesting cool places, etc.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Joiei,

I've just returned from a longish stay in Buenos Aires. You are going to love your time there. It's a quite marvelous city. I think Anil and others can help you more than I can with restaurants as we had our own apartment and didn't eat out that much.

In fact, horrible to admit, many of my meals were cheese (good cheese there) and crackers (not soda crackers but my favorite English-style cream crackers) bolted down in front of the refrigerator as my work schedule just didn't fit Argentine meal times. Breakfast is simply coffee con leche with a sweet roll or cookie. Then, as your guide books will tell you, there's a big meal at 2-3 and another at 10-11.

As guides we found two very useful resources. Any downtown newspaper stand will carry laminated maps. Invest in the two labelled compras (shopping) and restaurantes. Much more useful than you could imagine.

Whoops, I have to go, but more on food shopping, food customs, etc tomorrow,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

I am planning a trip down to Buenos Aries in May. I am so excited. None of us have ever been there, we will probably be staying at the Marriott. What guides will be best to start getting myself educated, food, culture, interesting cool places, etc.

How many days ? may is about the time when the weather changes, so many outdoor cafes will be just about moving indoors. I'd say pick up Lonely Planet and / or Fodor's guide. I have about a dozen odd URLs on EZE only a couple on food.

In general Puerto Madero is known for restaurants, but the city has great parrillas and places for great meats. For Nightclubs,Museums,Sites etc. you'll have to go offline because discussing it here in length might be considered off-food-topic :wink:

anil

Lucky you to be in South America!  We leave in two weeks for a month in Brazil........Porto Seguro, Bahia.  Bring on the beach!

Welcome !!! You and I will be photographed and fingerprinted because our gummint does it to the Brazilians :(

In two weeks time I'll be headed to GRU (Sao Paluo) too :smile:

anil

Lucky you to be in South America!  We leave in two weeks for a month in Brazil........Porto Seguro, Bahia.  Bring on the beach!

Welcome !!! You and I will be photographed and fingerprinted because our gummint does it to the Brazilians :(

In two weeks time I'll be headed to GRU (Sao Paluo) too :smile:

:biggrin: reciprocity :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To give one an idea of how big this steak is - It is bigger than my head - and it cost only 11 pesos... maybe (2.83pesos=1USD)

steakpuertomadero-vi.jpg

In due time I will write more about places we ate,drank and ofcourse steaks. The paper tag provided the essential details about the steak - The cut and how it was cooked (medium rare)

Yes the women in Buenos Aires are still very beautiful :smile:

Edited by anil (log)

anil

• 7 months later...

My god, that's one of the most beautiful steaks I've ever seen. Everything they say about Argentinian beef is true~~~

Would you mind posting where you ate in BA? I will be going in January or February for work.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

My god, that's one of the most beautiful steaks I've ever seen.  Everything they say about Argentinian beef is true~~~

Would you mind posting where you ate in BA?  I will be going in January or February for work.

Cabanas Las Lilas - in Puerto Madero - also try Parilla 1880 in San Telmo.

anil

My god, that's one of the most beautiful steaks I've ever seen.  Everything they say about Argentinian beef is true~~~

Would you mind posting where you ate in BA?  I will be going in January or February for work.

La Caballeriza, Puerto Madero (also branches in Pilar and San Isidro - just as good)

La Bistecca, San Isidro, (also in Puerto Madero) - this is a great place for grilled meats, but it also has a fantastic buffet for those craving salads, vegetables, fresh pasta and pizza).

La Parolaccia, Puerto Madero.

El Marisol, Puerto Madero....

Kansas on Avenida Liberdador (Martinez- San Isidro) has great atmosphere and is popular with the US expatriats. While the quality is excellent, I find the menu a little unimaginative. But the bar is great.

Actually the Parrillas (grilled meats) are fantastic just about anywhere - just stay away from shopping mall food!