• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you reach high places in your kitchen?

chromedome

We have a step stool from Ikea for vertically challenged moments. It doesn't fold up but it is sturdy enough to use as a seat so it works out ok - I sit on it when I'm doing something that doesn't need constant attention but that I don't want to leave, either, or when I'm supervising someone else in the kitchen. (It helps if I'm sitting because then I don't have as much urge to take over and do it myself. :P:D )

I suffer from the small kitchen problem too. I have a very small wooden box with a slotted lid that I store potatoes in. That doubles as a step when needed, but mostly, I keep stuff in high cupboards in plastic bins with grab handles on front, small enough to contain only a moderate amount of stuff, so not too heavy to yank one off a high shelf.$1 store plastic file holders on their sides make good dividers for flat items, and can be slid forward very easily.

7 minutes ago, helenjp said:

I suffer from the small kitchen problem too. I have a very small wooden box with a slotted lid that I store potatoes in. That doubles as a step when needed, but mostly, I keep stuff in high cupboards in plastic bins with grab handles on front, small enough to contain only a moderate amount of stuff, so not too heavy to yank one off a high shelf.$1 store plastic file holders on their sides make good dividers for flat items, and can be slid forward very easily.

Yes, I have some of those plastic bins with handles too, and they are very helpful. They're on the shelf that I can reach if I stand on my toes, so I can grab the handle and bring down the plastic bin. But for the shelf above that one there's no hope without the step stool. 

I'm just under 6 feet, so I normally just reach.

My wife however is not - so we have a short step stool that we keep just off the kitchen for easy use.

When we remodeled our kitchen we put cabinets in that go all the way to the ceiling instead of wasting 6" at the top.  Really worth it - but it does make getting to that top shelf a little more difficult.

31 minutes ago, Raamo said:

I'm just under 6 feet, so I normally just reach.

My wife however is not - so we have a short step stool that we keep just off the kitchen for easy use.

When we remodeled our kitchen we put cabinets in that go all the way to the ceiling instead of wasting 6" at the top.  Really worth it - but it does make getting to that top shelf a little more difficult.

If that was my place, I would just let you put whatever you wanted on the top shelves.  They would be "Your shelves" - lol :D xD

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I'm 6' tall—I can reach everything with the exception of what's on one corner cabinet shelf.

A Rubbermaid step stool fits the bill.

They are great step-stools and we use them in other places in our home. We have a 2-step folding step-stool for the kitchen. At barely 5'7" along with with short arms I need the additional height of the 2-step.

Because of my decreasing mobility I foresee not being able to use the Rubbermaid in the not-too-distant future.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;