• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you reach high places in your kitchen?

chromedome

Host's note: this topic was split from A Small NYC Kitchen Reno 2017.

On 11/10/2017 at 1:23 PM, weinoo said:

Yes, the bottom 4 shelves in both tall pantries are pull-out, full extension.  They're also extra-sturdy pull-outs, with 100 lb. capacity hardware.

That's useful. I don't know what you'll be storing in yours, but I can assure you that mason jars and cans add up the pounds faster than you'd think. 

My diminutive GF was very excited the other day to see a photo of kitchen cabinetry with a slide-out shelf at about knee height, purpose-built to stand on when reaching things down out of the higher cupboards. That's now number one with a bullet on the list for the kitchen in our putative future dream home. 

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

12 minutes ago, chromedome said:

That's useful. I don't know what you'll be storing in yours, but I can assure you that mason jars and cans add up the pounds faster than you'd think. 

Yes - to say nothing of a food processor, blender, stand mixer, etc.

Interesting idea on the pull-out shelf step ladder thing.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yeah. I'm 5' 7" myself, and on tiptoe can get anything that's not at the very back of the very top shelf, but she only comes up to my shoulder. For her it would be a game-changer. 

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

Yeah. I'm 5' 7" myself, and on tiptoe can get anything that's not at the very back of the very top shelf, but she only comes up to my shoulder. For her it would be a game-changer. 

I've always had a good step ladder, as I use it not just in the kitchen, but for changing bulbs, getting stuff that's in other closets, etc. And we've left just enough space in between the refrigerator and the wall where it can be slipped into.  We were going to put a 6" wide broom cabinet in there, but I decided to just leave that space empty.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

We have that too, and a folding step stool, but the slide-out platform seems neater and more convenient. It might never happen, but it's something to dream about. :)

Yeah for us of compact stature.

My FIL was at his tallest 6' (no idea of what his height is now) and my MIL was 5' 11". They had no need of a step-stool in their home. My DW is 5' 6" and I am 5' 7". We need a step-stool there.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

10 hours ago, chromedome said:

My diminutive GF was very excited the other day to see a photo of kitchen cabinetry with a slide-out shelf at about knee height, purpose-built to stand on when reaching things down out of the higher cupboards. That's now number one with a bullet on the list for the kitchen in our putative future dream home. 

That does sound like a good idea, but at knee-height that seems like a very high step to take. (Even if your GF is short and her knees are lower!)

I have a two-step stepladder that I bought many years ago in a previous apartment when a light bulb blew out and I couldn't reach it. So I bought the stepladder, schlepped it home - and still couldn't reach the ceiling to change the light bulb! I had to ask a neighbor to do it. But it is indispensable for reaching my shelves, and the steps also sub as extra counter space for me in my very space-challenged kitchen.

47 minutes ago, lindag said:

I use one of these in my kitchen.

It rolls around smoothly and it locks down in position when you stand on it.

I store under the desk/counter.

Ha ha ha. If I put one of those in my kitchen there’d be no room for me.:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd trip over that more often than the three inquisitive kitties and my 100-lb canine shadow. 

• Like 1

Call me crazy. Always doing crazy things. I don't normally need a stepping stool in the kitchen.

I use my cellphone with a selfy stick ($20) to look into high shelves.

And I use a grabber ($10) to retrieve items on high selves.

dcarch 

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, dcarch said:

Call me crazy. Always doing crazy things. I don't normally need a stepping stool in the kitchen.

I use my cellphone with a selfy stick ($20) to look into high shelves.

And I use a grabber ($10) to retrieve items on high selves.

dcarch 

Well I certainly use a grabber (or my very long barbecue tongs) but I’ve never considered a selfie stick. It is most certainly an idea worth considering. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I have a grabber tool and one of those folding one-step thingies stored just under the shelves where needed, and a 4 step stepladder next to the fridge.

Also, for general use, I purchased a 12" long ½" screwdriver -the handle makes it longer. I can do all sorts of things around the house very easily with this extending my reach.

Edited by Lisa Shock
bad amazon link (log)

We have the same thing as lindag posted earlier.  Use them all the time at the library to shelve books on the top shelves.  I also use it as a seat when I trim and otherwise mess with my larger houseplants.  I stow it away in the closet under the stairs.  Funny aside, I saw a photo of one of the Kardashians' homes and they had a bright red version of it.  Probably paid an interior decorator big bucks to recommend it too.  To reach light objects on high shelves, I also use a long pair of tongs.  Never mind the time I dropped and spilled the can of panko bread crumbs using that method.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am six foot.

And quite seriously my problem is reaching things down low.

I've got a couple inches on you and low stuff is indeed the issue and becoming more-so.

13 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I've got a couple inches on you and low stuff is indeed the issue and becoming more-so.

Yup.  Can’t reach the high places because I’m vertically challenged and getting more so and can’t reach the low places because I can’t see with my bifocals and I have health issues that make bending a real challenge. Nobody promised me a rose garden. xD

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

My brother made this nice little step stool for me out of curly maple. It fits under a shelf and is easy to slide into place since it has felt pads on the feet.  I also use tongs. I’m only 5’3” on a good day so upper cupboards tend to be populated with less used items. 

C288D62B-212E-494A-89D5-6E5DE0718F26.jpeg

• Like 5

Cheers,

Anne

15 minutes ago, blbst36 said:

I'll be honest - depending on what I am getting, there is a good chance I am just going to climb on the counters like I did when I was little.  BUT, I also have one of these babies that I kick around the kitchen and use often.

I would not use it with it's 77 pound load rating.  I weigh a great deal more.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I keep a single-step, non-folding stool in the kitchen itself.  The pantry has one of the mid-Century fold-out 2-steps.

But I still find myself reaching with whatever is in hand (e.g., knife, dish brush, roll of parchment sheets) to goose something high to fall into my hands.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I would not use it with it's 77 pound load rating.  I weigh a great deal more.

I weigh a great deal more, too.  Haven't had any problems.  I've had it for as long as I can remember.

I'm 6' tall—I can reach everything with the exception of what's on one corner cabinet shelf.

A Rubbermaid step stool fits the bill.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

On 11/11/2017 at 5:39 AM, chromedome said:

Host's note: this topic was split from A Small NYC Kitchen Reno 2017.

Don't show her these: http://www.highendhardware.ca/Scalimera-Toe-Kick-Ladder--BLACK-POWDER-COATING_p_21.html

(I've been in a kitchen that had something similar in several places.  The person who'd buiit it was very short, and she used them to use the counters!)

We have a little two step folding step stool, stored next to the fridge, which is useful for me to get stuff off the top shelf in the panty (~7 feet, and I'm going to install another set on the other wall, above the door, which will be 7'6" or so.).  My wife uses it for the lower shelves, too.  My three year old uses it to reach the counter.

• Like 2