• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco meat quality decline?

gfweb

I've relied on Costco for beef for years. The USDA Choice NY Strip was well flavored and tender.

The past few ones I've bought were neither.  Not even SV (130 F 3 hrs) made much difference.

Makes me sad.

2 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I've relied on Costco for beef for years. The USDA Choice NY Strip was well flavored and tender.

The past few ones I've bought were neither.  Not even SV (130 F 3 hrs) made much difference.

Makes me sad.

That's bad...I can only hope it's a fluke.  Costco has the best meat and fish you can get around here, and this is cow country.

• Like 1

I don't buy a lot of meat at Costco, but all their prime cuts have been very good.  Last week they had prime ribeye at $13.99/pound, with an additional $10 off the package at checkout.  My package of 4 largish 1.5" steaks ended up more like $10/pound.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Could it be that fact that they mechanically tenderize, aka needeling, all their meat?

My understanding is that Costco has been labeling their needle-tenderized beef as such since 2012 (before it became mandatory last year).

Costco Meat Label.jpg

• Like 1

@scubadoo97 

I plan to get some gift certificates and study Costco prime beef

as soon as my freezers have some space.

I called a Costco near me , the one Id plan to use

and asked about the needle issues

as I plan to do SV.

I can't recall what they said re : doing all the meat

so I won't go there.

but they said they would be happily to pack for me  on the spot 

any meat I might want w/o the needling.

enough customers have asked for this in my area ( MA ) that they are glad to do it.

check first.   they actually answered my call and connecters me to the butcher shop.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2017 at 8:22 PM, scubadoo97 said:

Could it be that fact that they mechanically tenderize, aka needeling, all their meat?

I've stopped buying Costco steaks for this reason. I'm not going to cook a prime ribeye or top loin at 160º.

Monterey Bay area

Dudes and Dudettes...Costco is very responsive to consumer complaints. 

If you're not happy with the product, complain and complain loudly. Make sure they know they have a quality problem and that could mean negatively impacting their bottom line.

It's likely the district manager/meat department switched meat suppliers to save money and they need to know that their current meat supplier sucks and they won't get your business unless the quality of the meat vastly improves.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

37 minutes ago, Nyleve Baar said:

If you buy the large, primal cuts - the vacuum packed whole thingies - they are NOT blade tenderized. I have been doing this and cut my own steaks. It's a little cheaper too.

That is the way I like to buy it too but it’s sometimes hard to find that high initial outlay!xD

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog