• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scratch Guacamole - Labor Intensive

SNewman004

the serious Mexican chefs I've talked with agree that although plenty of lime juice will keep it from turning brown, it will also become the predominant flavour.

Instead they mash right before serving.

To me that's always the best.

Assemble and serve.

If you have to keep it, press cling film tight against the surface and refrigerate.

Edited by weedy (log)
  • Like 2

I was wondering if you've done a cost comparison of various sizes of avocados. I notice that with small ones, sometimes the pit is small, so most of the fruit is edible. Many times, however, the pit is large, meaning that there is less to eat. Obviously, the ratio is better with larger fruit, and, less prep time would be involved since fewer fruits would need to be opened, pitted, and scooped.

I like the grid rack technique; speedy and consistent.

Here's another option: Last night as we were returning from a concert in Morelia we stopped for gas across the highway from what we'd heard was an avocado packing facility. While chatting with the guy pumping gas we learned that it will produce canned avocado puree. I'm assuming this won't be the chunky style most of us  prefer for guacamole, but evidently this produces a product that is shelf stable and available all year when avocado production is in one of its low cycles. I don't know if this appeals to you, but it's an option. Clearly there's automation involved--I can't really see hundreds of people with knives and spoons processing tons of avocados, despite labor being pretty inexpensive around here. The facility is huge--easily twice as long as a football field and equally wide. We've watched it being built for the past couple of years. The first clue that something important was being built was the massive stone wall around it and the secure entry system in front.

I also have a nifty avocado ice cream recipe that is dairy free and vegan, and stupid easy to make, if you want add it to your menu. The puree would be ideal for this.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro (in the middle of avocado production in Michoacán)

• Like 3

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

I always prep the non-avocado ingredients ahead of time (sometimes by food processor) and store in the fridge. Then the avocados can be peeled and mashed and mixed in right before serving. It's like having a kit ... easy peasy, nothing to think about, and it tastes fresh. 

If you combined the robot-couped ingredients with peeled, flattened, and vacuum packed avocados, it would truly be a kit.

Notes from the underbelly

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Every restaurant show I see vacuum packed avocados - they would work well.

Not to be glib, somewhere I thought I saw @nathanm say they tried sous vide and it didn't work.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Completely OT, but every time my eye sees this title I read it briefly as "Scotch guacamole" and have a bit of a moment. 

Of course, I see it for the first time each day while I'm winching my eyelids open with my first mug of strong tea, so there's probably some sort of connection there. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Not to be glib, somewhere I thought I saw @nathanm say they tried sous vide and it didn't work.

This stuff isn't cooked

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

This stuff isn't cooked

Obviously.  If memory serves, Nathan and team were trying to speed ripen avocados.  Sous vide was successful for ripening some other fruit but avocados were a failure.  (I hope I'm not confusing Nathan with Dave Arnold.)  Anyhow last night's avocado was not quite ripe enough so it's still sitting on the cutting board.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had an avocado mishap that forced me to deal with very ripe flesh of one immediately, I squished it into a freezer ziploc bag, forced as much air out as I could, and threw in the freezer immediately. It did not turn brown. However, after defrosting 2 days later, it seemed that it started to oxidize much faster than one freshly cut (I'm thinking the mushed texture contributed to that). Stirred a little lemon juice in to arrest that. It was fine used as blobs on top of a bowl of chili, but I vote for freshly cut for guacamole.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

6 hours ago, chromedome said:

Completely OT, but every time my eye sees this title I read it briefly as "Scotch guacamole" and have a bit of a moment. 

I like all kinds of things mixed into guacamole. 

(Usually only ONE though, at a time). 

I’ve made it with peanuts. With pistachios. With pomegranate. With mango. With chicharrons. 

Now or you have me thinking about adding haggis. 

Altiough, being English, it’s  difficult to pass up the easy joke that Scotch (well, Scottish, i’d probably actually say) Guacamole leaves out the avocado to save money. 

Groan.  I know. 

But it’s no worse (the same really!) than Welsh Rabbit. 

On 11/21/2017 at 5:04 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Every restaurant show I see vacuum packed avocados - they would work well.

Here you go - high pressure pasteurization - inactivates enzyme that causes browning. Here