• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lasagna Wars

catdaddy

9 minutes ago, catdaddy said:

The recipe uses; a meat sauce containing pork, beef, and chicken and only a tablespoon of tomato paste, a thick bechamel, a half'n'half blend of mozz and parm, and fresh thinnly rolled pasta. The result is biggly flavored and easy to serve.

Not planning on buying any books so this is helpful.  Thanks.

I am assuming the meat is all ground - equal portions?  Is the paste added to the meat?

Cheers.

6 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Thanks for posting the picture. I am noting that your top is dry noodles. For me, one of the highlights of lasagna is a layer of browned cheese on top. I usually spread a little red sauce around and use mozzarella topped with either rows of tiny basil leaves, or a sprinkling of dry oregano, with paper-thin slices of red onion on top of that. (the onion gets a bit crunchy) Others will undoubtedly chime in here, but, I think you definitely need a topper.

I think that style of lasagna is a totally different beast. I cannot imagine adding a red sauce to Bugiali's lasagna, it just doesn't work like that.

• Like 3

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Maybe the top needs to be arranged differently then when folded up? From a presentation perspective something is looking unfinished or untidy to me about the dry noodles on top. If they were more deliberately arranged it might help it look better and less 'oops, I patched this together and ran out of sauce.'

ETA: I think it is the bits folded up giving me that feeling. Maybe they could be under the top layer? Or make sure they are even all the way around and do a decorative cut on the edges before baking? Or roll them like a pie crust? I'm just throwing out ideas. :) I'd also be tempted to do something decorative on the flat expanse in the center. I've seen pasta with herbs carefully rolled into the dough so the leaf looks like artwork. Maybe something like that just in the center?

Edited by quiet1 (log)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TicTac said:

Those dry, untidy, folded up bits - are the best!  They are crispy and add fantastic textural contrast to a lasagna!

'I thought it might be, which is why I suggested making them more deliberate looking and decorative as an option too. 

It's a detail but I assume in competition details matter.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

I think that style of lasagna is a totally different beast. I cannot imagine adding a red sauce to Bugiali's lasagna, it just doesn't work like that.

Thanks! I did not know.

That said, I'd like to see a more finished top. One idea that ties in with the season is to cut out a bunch of leaf shapes with the dough and arrange them on top, like this pie, or this one. The pasta could have small amounts of seasonings in it to give a variety of colors. In making bread showpieces, dried red bell pepper, turmeric, saffron, egg yolk, dried tomato, various green herbs, etc. are added for color and, if used carefully wouldn't affect the flavor too much. (maybe toasted nut butter for brown?) Doesn't have to be leaves, use your imagination. (croxetti might be fun, too)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, TicTac said:

Not planning on buying any books so this is helpful.  Thanks.

I am assuming the meat is all ground - equal portions?  Is the paste added to the meat?

Cheers.

Pork and beef are ground. Chicken is cooked whole then chopped. There's also a fine dice mirepoix, garlic, red wine, and chicken stock involved. And yes the paste is added to the meat.

Edited by catdaddy
for clarification (log)

9 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Who are the judges? If they are trained chefs, I'd watch out with the parsley. There are protocols for how it should be cut. You could lose points for having 'grass clippings'.

Ha! The judges are my co workers. Libarians one and all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, catdaddy said:

Ha! The judges are my co workers. Libarians one and all.

And who better to judge?  Most of us are a bit food obsessed!!!:P

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...

Today the Lasagna Wars were fought at work. And.......I won!

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I went with the LASAGNA al FORNO recipe and even made both kinds of pasta. It wasn't even close.

First prize was this lovely pickle dish and spoon plus bragging rights.

Happy holidays, everyone.

RelishDish.pdf

• Like 19
  • Delicious 1

11 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Congrats, @catdaddy!  If you have a moment, I'd love to hear about your competition?  Any very unusual combinations or entries you found interesting?

There were four entries. Two were traditional Italian-American tomato ricotta dried noodle casseroles. The one that I voted for was vegetarian with no tomatoes and mostly mushroom based whose maker refused to tell me the provenance of her noodles, though they were fresh and yummy. I believe it had some bechamel in it but I can't remember as I had to hurry out during lunch break to let our dog out. Good depth of flavor and mouth feel.

The whole thing was fun with a minimum of trash talking. It brought us all together for a few minutes during a busy day to break bread. 10/10 would do it again.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, rotuts said:

Kudos your way

@catdaddy

and Id like to thank Whom ever for the idea of

artichoke bottoms in a lasagna

artichoke bottoms sliced w spinach and a béchamel sauce.

That would be @Lisa Shock. There is roasted garlic involved, too. The next one.......after the holidays.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2017 at 7:53 AM, rotuts said:

if you are leaning towards ricotta

consider cottage cheese.   it is similar to ricotta but has more flavor

' process ' until smooth

I like to use Queso Fresco instead of ricotta. 

• Like 2