• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking with Myhrvold's "Modernist Bread: The Art and Science"

On 11/24/2017 at 2:38 PM, Chris Hennes said:

Ha! It's not even the weekend yet, I'm just getting warmed up!

Today's real project was pretzels, in an attempt to get a more even coating. Here's that attempt:

DSC_6559.jpg

DSC_6561.jpg

How were you able to get the coating so even? @Chris Hennes I've tried the preztel recipe a few times and mine never look as dark or as even as the book. 

Do I need to make a stronger lye solution than the book specifies?

20201108_144124.jpg

20201108_143439.jpg

Edited by PositiveMD
Add name (log)
1 hour ago, PositiveMD said:

How were you able to get the coating so even? @Chris Hennes I've tried the preztel recipe a few times and mine never look as dark or as even as the book. 

I follow the book recipe exactly, though I ignore the time they give for baking to set the lye: I just bake until they look right. The evenness I think is just a function of how you dip them, and how you handle them (or don't handle them) coming out of the dip.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 1 month later...

Landbrot with Pressure-Caramelize Cherries and Almonds (KM p. 223)

I've posted about the Landbrot before: it's a very high-hydration "Farmer's Bread"-style loaf with a very large quantity of white flour levain, plus a relatively small amount of whole wheat flour and medium rye flour. In this ingredient variation you make 800g of that dough, then add 180g of pressure-caramelized dried cherries and almonds. The inclusion is delicious: in fact, my only objection is that I would have like more almonds. Like, a lot more. Next time I'll probably make something like 4x the quantity of almonds the recipe calls for, they have a great flavor and texture.

DSC_7269.jpg

• Like 6

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

For today's festival of Epiphany in Spain and the South of France, it is very common to eat Roscón de Reyes (King's bread). They are not easy to find in the UK, so we made it ourselves following a recipe from Modernist Bread (which is available for free online).

There are many different styles of Roscón. This time we decided to fill it with chestnut based cream since it pairs very well with orange blossom. 

1392552120_DSC_0292x2.thumb.jpg.cb37fa5acb8171de84a0e8dfee4a8e38.jpg

Edited by Objective Foodie
Grammar/typo (log)
  • Like 4
Just now, Objective Foodie said:

For today's festival of Epiphany in Spain and the South of France, it is very common to eat Roscón de Reyes (King's bread). They are not easy to find them in the UK, thus we made it ourselves following the recipe from Modernist Bread (which is available for free online).

There are many different styles of Roscón, we decided to fill it with chestnut based cream since it pairs very well with orange blossom. 

I like the chestnut/orange pairing. Baby or bean inside?

• Like 1
On 1/6/2021 at 9:33 PM, heidih said:

Did you get one of them? Here in US many are more familiar with the tradition from New Orleans that starts at Carnaval beginning 6 Jan to Mardi Gras. You might find this older topic amusing. Picture of a slice would be nice - of yours. https://forums.egullet.org/topic/37261-kingcakes/page/2/

It's fascinating to see how food and culture travel and adapt in different countries. Thanks for sharing that post @heidih ! I didn't know that there was a cinnamon and sugar variation and had never heard of cream cheese being used as a filling! 

In Europe King's cakes' main flavour is orange blossom and/or candied fruit (similar to panettoni). Citrus fruits are in season in January and they are used in many traditional Christmas dishes.

We did not take a photo of a slice unfortunately! However, we enjoyed it so much that will be making a smaller bun with the same brioche-like dough following a recipe from the famous Basque chef Martín Berasategui this weekend. We will certainly post a picture!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Similar Content

• By mixmaster b
      I am interested in getting some cookbooks that cover the basics of pastry and baking--not bread, necessarily, but dessert, cakes, cookies, etc. I searched a few other cookbook threads but did not have luck on finding books on pastry.
      My interest is in fairly classic French and European style baking, and I need a book that covers technique. Pictures would also be much appreciated--I like both the step by step pix or great pictures of the end product.
      Right now, I have Desserts and Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme. (I love these and have had good results from the recipes, but feel I should start with a more classic approach.) La Varenne Pratique has provided some good starting points, but I would like to find a book with more focus on baking.
      I was thinking about the Payard book. Any comments? Suggestions would be much appreciated! In case it applies, I am a home cook and am slightly more skilled than a total beginner.
      Thanks!
    • By Anonymous Modernist 760
      Thanks for putting up this forum 🙂
      I would like to bake using a combination of sous vide and a conventional oven. Would it be possible to put the dough in a vacuum bag cook it sous vide at 37C for the dough to raise optimal and then put it in a conventional oven?
      Thanks
    • By liuzhou
      Congratulations are due to Fuchsia Dunlop, whose "Food of Sichuan" has just been published in a Chinese language version - a rare honour here. I've ordered a couple of copies as gifts for local friends who loved the Engish version, but struggled with some language issues.

《川菜》,
      中信出版社。

• By Kasia
      A SANDWICH TO GO

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a snack which you can grab and eat "on the go". I know that it is unhealthy. We should celebrate eating and eat calmly and with deliberation. However, sometimes the day is too short for everything on our schedule and we still have to eat. Admittedly, we can sin and go for some fast food, but it is healthier and tastier to prepare something quickly in our own kitchen.

Today, Camembert cheese and cranberries in a fresh, crunchy roll take the lead role. It sounds easy and yummy, doesn't it? Try it and get on with your day . Today I used a homemade cranberry preserve which was left over from dessert, but if you like you can buy your own.

Ingredients:
      2 fresh rolls (your favourite ones)
      150g of camembert cheese
      1 handful of lettuce
      2 teaspoons of butter
      2 teaspoons of pine nuts or sunflower seeds
      preserve
      100g of fresh cranberries
      3 tablespoons of brown sugar
      100ml of apple juice

Wash the cranberries. Put the cranberries, sugar and apple juice into a pan with a heavy bottom and boil with the lid on for 10-12 minutes, stirring from time to time. Try it and if necessary add some sugar. Leave to cool down. Cut the rolls in half and spread with the butter. Put some lettuce on one half of the roll. Slice the camembert cheese and arrange it on the lettuce. Put a fair portion of the cranberry preserve on top of the cheese. Sprinkle with the roast pine nuts or sunflower seeds and cover with the second half of the roll.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      Today I would like to share with you a recipe for a slightly different sandwich. Instead of traditional vegetables, I recommend strawberry salsa, and rather than a slice of ham – a golden grilled slice of Halloumi cheese. Only one thing is missing – a fresh and fragrant bread roll.

Halloumi is a Cypriot cheese made with sheep's milk or a mixture of sheep's, goat's and cow's milk. It is semihard and so flexible that it is excellent for frying and barbecuing, and it is great fresh too.

Ingredients (for two people)
      2 fresh rolls of your choice
      2 big lettuce leaves
      4 slices of Halloumi cheese
      2 teaspoons of butter
      salsa:
      8 strawberries
      half a chili pepper
      2 tablespoons of minced peppermint leaves
      ¼ a red onion
      2 tablespoons of chopped almond without the skin
      1 teaspoon of honey
      2 tablespoons of lemon juice
      2 tablespoons of balsamic sauce

Start by preparing the salsa. Wash the strawberries, remove the shanks and cube them. Dice the onion and chili pepper. Mix the strawberries with the onion, chili pepper, peppermint and almonds. Spice it up with honey and lemon juice. Leave in the fridge for half an hour. Grill the slices of Halloumi cheese until they are golden. Cut the fresh rolls in half and spread them with butter. Put a lettuce leaf on each half of roll, then a slice of the Halloumi cheese, one tablespoon of salsa, another slice of cheese and two tablespoons of salsa. Spice it up with balsamic sauce. Cover with the other half of the roll. Prepare the second sandwich in the same way. Serve at once while the cheese is still hot.

Enjoy your meal!