• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Raamo

Baking with Myhrvold's "Modernist Bread: The Art and Science"

Also each version was proofed the same:  fold after mixing, 45 minutes, fold, 45 more minutes, then division and shaping.

What do you guys think about freezing the third build of panettone recipe in 115g portions and using it again with 12g of instant dry yeast?

Did it. This is 650g in a 500g baking cup. I am sure that I prefere the one leavened just with sourdough, but this came alright . Addictions were chocolate White and Dark , candied Orange peel. Baked in cheap home oven 175° without stone to 95 internal temp 45' Plus 10' ventin.

Candied Orange was my last hope for candied fruits as I don't have cherry in my country, and i didnt like as well! They proofed very fast at 28° room temp with osmotolerant yeast, i think i am gonna decrease next time to extend fermentation. My goal is to achieve biggg holes in Panettones.

20181110_214844.jpg

20181110_214356.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/8/2018 at 3:04 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Also each version was proofed the same:  fold after mixing, 45 minutes, fold, 45 more minutes, then division and shaping.

How different were the mixing times between the two?

7 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

How different were the mixing times between the two?

Similar, however I think the lower hydration dough mixes more easily in my KitchenAid.

I've also tried 1 kg batches and 1.5 kg batches.  The larger batches mix better but the end result of the bread texture is about the same.  I never did ascertain what KA speeds correspond to "low" and "medium".

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some more info regarding vacuum autolysing/kneading/mixing.

I've only been able to read volume 4 through a former local library so I haven't been able to read their text in vol 3 on their vacuum technique beyond what was included in their modernist French lean bread recipe. But, alas, I'm a uni student poor on both time and money so I'm very keen to see if I can improvise a cheap setup for making bread with a faster bulk ferment time than hand mixing can offer. I have already bought a brake bleed pump which can generate nearly -25inMg which I believe holds up (at least in theory) against a FoodSaver. But, several jars and Ikea container lids, and a hole heap of hot glue later, I have been unable to hook my brake bleeder up to any container with a satisfactory seal. My new idea was to buy a FoodSaver accessory (canister or mason jar sealer) and find a way to attach it to my brake bleeder to generate the vacuum with a good seal. But ChezAndré mentioned earlier that he was unable to get particularly conclusive results using a FoodSaver canister. I don't understand why it didn't work for ChezAndre but seeing as it didn't, I don't want to spend more money on something that might not work.

Has anyone else tested (or is anyone else able to test) using any FoodSaver accessories to vacuum mix/auto/knead the dough?

On 11/11/2018 at 10:07 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Similar, however I think the lower hydration dough mixes more easily in my KitchenAid.

I've also tried 1 kg batches and 1.5 kg batches.  The larger batches mix better but the end result of the bread texture is about the same.  I never did ascertain what KA speeds correspond to "low" and "medium".

Have you tried mixing by hand to see if you get very different results? I have made this dough by hand several times with no problems. Just for experiment's sake you could try making the dough by hand to help see whether your stand mixer is playing a role in the problem. 

In my experience, I find that if I use the finger-poke test too early during the final proofing, I tend to get false-positives. I am not exactly sure what is at play there but I suspect that there hasn't been enough time for gases to form and expand the dough enough to spring back against the poke. For me, it takes about 30 minutes for hand-mixed commercially yeasted breads to stop giving these false-positives and hand mixed sourdoughs can take over an hour before the poke test starts to help me. Otherwise, a positive poke test that early on in a commercially yeasted bread could be over-extending initial bulk fermentation (the dough being too gaseous after shaping) and the fact that your boules are 'flat' suggests to me that the dough over-proofed.

• Like 1

As I have just moved to Denmark, I thought it would be appropriate for me to make the MB rugbrød (and seeing as rye in all its forms is so cheap and readily-available here, vollkornbrot). I made the rugbrød with the optional instant yeast. According to the Danes who tried it, it had little-to-no relationship with the rugbrød they buy and eat (from the supermarket). They seemed more inclined to call it a country/farmer's bread and that it was like how their grandmothers made rugbrød... It seems that even Northern Europe's sacred rye breads are being tainted by supermarkets and industrial processing.

16442632_IMG_20181023_2247412081.thumb.jpg.0febb2df2807b72c71259beb1603c08e.jpg

Vollkornbrot on the left, rugbrød on the right.

But, my German and Austrian taste-testers said the MB vollkornbrot was exactly what they would have back home! It is a very time-intensive bread to make though - I started soaking the rye berries on a Sunday night and could finally cut io it on Thursday morning... Both built to last - about 5 days without noticeable staling and were perfectly edible for about 8 days. 

• Like 1

Hi guys, I would like to ask help with something about modernist Hamburger buns, I tried yesterday and baked in 2 batches in my little home oven 180-200 C. the first I waited for crust become golden to check internal temp, it is suggested 90-93, but in 18' it was already 98°. The next batch i took out in 15', still White crust and it was already 93.1°C. I forgot to take Picture before freezing, but here are the batches frozen. For taste matter, the golden Brown crust is much better than the White crust...

What do you think happened? 

I used coconut oil in place of margarine, and  egg washed before proofing and before baking

20181126_120932.jpg

@JoaoBertinatti -- as a first guess I'd say your oven temp is too low. You list a range of temps there, 180°C to 200°C. Are those temps you are setting to, or are you measuring them with an oven thermometer? I also don't recall the recipe calling for margarine, and I don't have it handy to double check that.

1 hour ago, Chris Hennes said:

@JoaoBertinatti -- as a first guess I'd say your oven temp is too low. You list a range of temps there, 180°C to 200°C. Are those temps you are setting to, or are you measuring them with an oven thermometer? I also don't recall the recipe calling for margarine, and I don't have it handy to double check that.

Wow, I really thought that vegetable shortening was margarine!  The recipe calls for vegetable shortening!

It is the kind of product that I have never bought, but I am shocked, it was the same for me, until now that I googled.

I have calibrated the oven before, but as it is small  the temperature flutuate a lot without the stone inside.

they suggest for 190º in home oven 25-27minutes, it stayed a lot less than this, maybe then temperature was to high?

17 hours ago, JoaoBertinatti said:

Wow, I really thought that vegetable shortening was margarine!  The recipe calls for vegetable shortening!

It is the kind of product that I have never bought, but I am shocked, it was the same for me, until now that I googled.

I have calibrated the oven before, but as it is small  the temperature flutuate a lot without the stone inside.

they suggest for 190º in home oven 25-27minutes, it stayed a lot less than this, maybe then temperature was to high?

What weight are you making the buns?

Sourdough with Pressure Caramelized Rye Berries

I love pressure-caramelized rye as an inclusion for sourdough. I think this loaf was particularly successful because of a very long cold proof, 48 hours in the refrigerator. Also because I ate it without letting it cool all the way down, which I guess makes me a bad person. It was among the most flavorful loaves I've ever produced.

DSC_7046.jpg

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By umami5
      Has anyone come across a digital version of Practical Professional Cookery (revised 3rd edition) H.L. Cracknell & R.J. Kaufmann.
      I am using this as the textbook for my culinary arts students and a digital version would come in very handy for creating notes and handouts.
    • By lindaj1
      Is there any recipe from the modernist universe or any other galaxy to make ketogenic (low carb) puff pastry and strudel type doughs?  Unusual ingredients OK.  There must be a way...
    • By Mullinix18
      I'm thinking about starting a blog featuring the recipes of antoine Carême that I've translated from 1700s French? No English versions of his works exist and his work is hard to find, even though he is the greatest chef who ever lived. After I get through his works I'd add menon, la Varenne, and other hard to find, but historically important masters of French cuisine. 
    • By Mullinix18
      I dont believe that any English translation of Carêmes works exist. An incomplete version was published in 1842 (I think) but even the that version seems lackluster for the few recipes it does cover. I think it's time the world looks to its past, but I don't speak great French and it's a huge task to undertake. I hopefully plan on publishing this work and anyone who helps me will get a very fair cut, and if we decide not to publish it, I'll put it out on the internet for free. I'm working in Google docs so we can collaborate. I'm first cataloging the index to cross reference the pre-existing incomplete English version to give us a reference of what yet needs to be done, and from there we will go down the list of recipies and Translate them one by one. Simple google translate goes only so far, as it is 1700s French culinary terms and phrases being used. I'd like to preserve as much of Carêmes beautiful and flowery language as possible. Who's with me? 
    • By haresfur
      I got to thinking after the disgusting job of separating globs of fat from sous vide short ribs and debating never doing them that way again. If the fat renders out in a braise, but not in the sous vide, what temperature would you need to turn the fat liquid to get rid of it? Is it below well-done or do you really have to cook the shit out of it? Is it just temperature or a time&temperature thing?

Along those lines, what happens with marbled, tender cuts? where is the sweet spot between solid fat and something more palatable?