• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Raamo

Baking with Myhrvold's "Modernist Bread: The Art and Science"

Van Over bread made in Thermomix - dough was 24 C in a very short time.

IMG_8806.thumb.JPG.14f93cddbfdcc74127a65e989a88a054.JPG

IMG_8808.thumb.JPG.a56b1e9cfaf3f2d0fd7868b3d0fad647.JPG

• Like 6

In the basic sourdough recipe, with the machine mixing instructions, do they clarify what they mean by "mix to medium gluten development?"

I use a 6qt KA mixer with a spiral dough hook, and have gradually been shortening mixing times when using medium to high-hydration doughs and autolyse steps. If I go longer than 90 seconds, the dough seems to get soupier rather than firmer. I'm assuming the gluten will break down if I go longer than this, but everyone online who writes about mixing bread mechanically mentions mixing times of several minutes. Should I ignore the apparent weakening of the dough and mix longer?

My dough ends up being extremely extensible, but almost entirely without elasticity. At hydration levels above 65% my boules get floppy and almost resemble focaccia. (using half KA AP flour, half KA bread). But it's delicious ... like the best tasting bread I've had. When I lower the hydration, I get beautiful, professional looking boules that just taste ok. 

Should I mix longer or change the dough development steps in any other way? Right now I'm making the recipe as written, with regard to autolyse, mixing, and stretch / fold schedule. I've increased the hydration to 70%, and am using a lower percentage of starter, to facilitate a longer warm ferment. My starter gives the flavors I like if it gets a few hours in the 90°F range.

For one trial I tried adding a couple of extra stretch / fold steps. This made a stronger dough, but gave a tightly organized crumb that was less chewy, and resembled commercial sandwich bread. Not awesome.

Any tips on how to get a stronger dough that will hold its shape, without compromising flavor, will make me oh so happy.

I bake a couple loves of French lean bread once a week.  Tonight's baguette was particularly lovely.  I have a KitchenAid and rather than finishing on speed two I've been finishing my dough on speed four or higher for a shorter time.  Not recommended of course.  Don't tell on me.  But why pay for a commercial mixer if you can't beat the hell out of it?

It sure was good.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a KitchenAid and rather than finishing on speed two I've been finishing my dough on speed four or higher for a shorter time. 

I thought most of the recipes say to finish mixing on medium speed which I've been using between 4 and 6 on my kitchenaid?

22 minutes ago, rob1234 said:

I thought most of the recipes say to finish mixing on medium speed which I've been using between 4 and 6 on my kitchenaid?

Interesting!  I'd love to know what the MB folks call "medium".  I had originally been using 1 for low and 2 for medium.

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Interesting!  I'd love to know what the MB folks call "medium".  I had originally been using 1 for low and 2 for medium.

Having said that, I sometimes have to hold the mixer in place so it doesn't fly off the counter when mixing at that speed so maybe it should be slower.

• Similar Content

• By chefmd
      It's time to get excited about new cookbooks coming out this year.  Hopefully some will also appear on bargain thread.   Here is an article from Food and Wine that lists some of the spring offerings.
      http://www.foodandwine.com/news/cookbooks-spring-2018
    • By ElsieD
      I got an e-mail this morning about the Modernist team's next project - pizza! 

Modernist Pizza is Underway!
      After taking on the world of bread, we’re thrilled to announce the topic of our next book: pizza. Modernist Pizza will explore the science, history, equipment, technology, and people that have made pizza so beloved.

Authors Nathan Myhrvold and Francisco Migoya, with the Modernist Cuisine team, are currently at work conducting extensive research and testing long-held pizza-making beliefs; this quest for knowledge has already taken them to cities across the United States, Italy, and beyond. The result of their work will be a multivolume cookbook that includes both traditional and innovative recipes for pizzas found around the globe along with techniques that will help you make pizza the way you like it.

Modernist Pizza is in its early stages, and although we’ve begun to dig in, we still have a lot of work ahead of us. Although we can’t guarantee when it will arrive at your door just yet, we can promise that this book will deliver the complete story of pizza as it’s never been told before.

In the meantime, we would love to hear from you as we continue to research pizza from around the world. Contact pizza@modernistcuisine.com to tell us about your favorite pizzerias and their pizza. Connect with us on social media to get all the latest Modernist Pizza updates.
    • By Doofa
      FYI. On todays Food Programme, BBC Radio 4 which will be podcasted I think tomorrow after its repeat. He outlined the Bread tome, and I found very interesting the economics of bread. It's all a bit beyond me as a Coeliac most of it is out of my reach. One can listen to it on Radio 4 website. Furthermore R4 is my constant companion and the last bastion of civilisation
    • By JoNorvelleWalker
      Tonight I finished Kristen Kish Cooking, Recipes and Techniques.  Alas these are restaurant or competition dishes, and while I would probably enjoy most of them, I saw nothing that I am compelled to cook.  Nor for that matter am competent to cook.  I commend her for sharing them.  I appreciate her definition of culinary terms.  My only gripe is that after assuring us she uses a Packojet at work, her ice cream recipes call for a home ice cream maker.

Kristen moved me.  I was taken by her back story as a gay interracial adoptee.  I can relate to that.