• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Raamo

Baking with Myhrvold's "Modernist Bread: The Art and Science"

IMG_8277.thumb.JPG.22092d4c50c6de2c067dbe6e2fe7864a.JPG

IMG_8278.thumb.JPG.7ee5a25e9ac5a63f1e78ef7ff3355a87.JPG

compleat wheat version of sandwich loaf -  baked in CSO

• Like 8

received_10155352303054150.thumb.jpeg.c64d0b57b31123f6876a48fb54ebbb55.jpegreceived_10155352275614150.thumb.jpeg.c77c2b782a9dbe2b0228dda329ea128e.jpeg

Modernist Challah.  I know I did multiple things wrong, one of them being not using osmotolerant yeast as I didn't realize the typo / oversight of not listing it in the recipe.  I think it was underproofed as a result?  I aired on the side of caution as the room it was proofing in was a bit hotter than 70f.  It was very dense and very much on the dry side.  Its also very much a possibility I have never had real challah, however.

Did a 5 strand braid which seemed fairly simple and I got progressively better.  The full 2kg recipe was nice for learning how to braid and roll the strands... but I think I'll be halfing it if possible next time.  4 loafs is a lot of challah, but my friends appreciated the free bread.  Baked in my brand new cadco xaft115.

I have Sourdough Starter Attempt #3 going.  I've moved to a glass jar to see if my container was the reason it was not behaving correctly.  I need to find a source for rye flour locally too as I really want to try the 100% rye.  I've only found the Bob's Red Mill Dark Rye so far.

2 minutes ago, repiv said:

received_10155352303054150.thumb.jpeg.c64d0b57b31123f6876a48fb54ebbb55.jpegreceived_10155352275614150.thumb.jpeg.c77c2b782a9dbe2b0228dda329ea128e.jpeg

Modernist Challah.  I know I did multiple things wrong, one of them being not using osmotolerant yeast as I didn't realize the typo / oversight of not listing it in the recipe.  I think it was underproofed as a result?  I aired on the side of caution as the room it was proofing in was a bit hotter than 70f.  It was very dense and very much on the dry side.  Its also very much a possibility I have never had real challah, however.

Did a 5 strand braid which seemed fairly simple and I got progressively better.  The full 2kg recipe was nice for learning how to braid and roll the strands... but I think I'll be halfing it if possible next time.  4 loafs is a lot of challah, but my friends appreciated the free bread.  Baked in my brand new cadco xaft115.

I have Sourdough Starter Attempt #3 going.  I've moved to a glass jar to see if my container was the reason it was not behaving correctly.  I need to find a source for rye flour locally too as I really want to try the 100% rye.  I've only found the Bob's Red Mill Dark Rye so far.

If it's too dry to eat - slice, dry well in oven and use for a nice lemon bread pudding - alternate bread, globs of lemon curd and custard. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Gateau battu 

That looks really dark on top -- is it really that dark in person?

12 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

That looks really dark on top -- is it really that dark in person?

It's pretty dark with the egg wash - but doesn't taste burned at all. The pics in the book and online show it pretty dark as well.

Makes fabulous french toast - sucks up eggs like a sponge.

IMG_8287.thumb.JPG.61616c56cac7e11f2dfe36aff63e9123.JPG

• Like 6

Yesterday got around to trying the direct ciabatta recipe (using my new Ankarsrum mixer). The fermentation moved pretty fast, but fortunately I was around to manage it, and I'm pretty happy with the result. It was a really slack dough at 88% hydration (here in Italy the standard ciabatta uses only 80% hydration - my guess is that it's due to the differences in flours...next time I'll probably stay closer to that level) but handled well enough with a generous dusting of semola rimacinata. Final proof on a couche and baked uncovered on the back of a baking sheet with a tray of boiling water on the floor of the oven for the first 20 minutes of so. The crumb was quite open, creamy and translucent and very tender. 

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

• Like 8

In line with @Kerry Beal's French Toast above, this morning I had some leftover mature levain (I always make a bit extra, and I had a change of heart about which breads to make today so had even more than usual). I combined it with salt, sugar, baking soda, an egg, and enough milk to get the consistency I needed and made "sourdough" pancakes. Of course these aren't really leavened much by the levain, that's what the baking soda was for, but they turned out pretty well. I think using baking soda instead of baking powder was a tactical error on my part, it neutralized too much of the acidity from the starter. Next time I'd use baking powder, I think.

Pancakes.jpg

• Like 4

Used the modernist brioche recipe for praline and raisin buns

IMG_8319.thumb.JPG.070f0b679dff31ca21effdddb0bf79fa.JPG

IMG_8320.thumb.JPG.54c8553ddf99418095c89d57feee6cb8.JPG

IMG_8322.thumb.JPG.2b6a833d40df77ce23662ecf17b2f18e.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Inspired from last weekends Babka, I've made a cinnamon filling and going to make something akin to cinnamon rolls.

IMG_20180204_164052.jpg

• Like 4

San Francisco Sourdough

A deliberately sour sourdough, via the inclusion of a bit of rye flour in the final stiff levain. I made mine with a 24-hour final proof in the refrigerator -- done for timing reasons, but it resulted in a very nicely flavored loaf.

DSC_7269.jpg

DSC_7278.jpg

• Like 12

Surfer Sourdough

A high-hydration sourdough. Nice flavor, but the texture and aesthetics leave something to be desired.

DSC_7271.jpg

DSC_7280.jpg

• Like 3

Sourdough with Porridge

I made this one with a cornmeal porridge made from a fresh Oklahoma cornmeal courtesy of @Tri2Cook. The addition of a porridge makes for a pretty slack dough, I think it would have been a better-looking loaf if it were made a bit lower hydration. The flavor is excellent, of course.

DSC_7275.jpg

DSC_7283.jpg

• Like 6

Chocolate Cherry Sourdough

As if I could make it through a weekend of baking without making this one! By popular demand, this time with a mix of bing and tart cherries, dehydrated overnight (which was not long enough to reproduce the dryness of commercial dehydrated cherries, so they have a different texture this time around). I also made the dough a bit lower hydration so it was easier to work with. I don't think the texture suffered for it.

DSC_7274.jpg

DSC_7286.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

San Francisco Sourdough

A deliberately sour sourdough, via the inclusion of a bit of rye flour in the final stiff levain. I made mine with a 24-hour final proof in the refrigerator -- done for timing reasons, but it resulted in a very nicely flavored loaf.

Chris, can you comment on how this sourdough compares with true (that is, made in that area) San Francisco sourdough?  Every time I think I have it right, I get a chance to taste the local stuff and realize how far off I am. 

9 hours ago, Smithy said:

Chris, can you comment on how this sourdough compares with true (that is, made in that area) San Francisco sourdough?  Every time I think I have it right, I get a chance to taste the local stuff and realize how far off I am. 

With the caveat that although I’ve been to San Francisco several times, I’ve never lived there, so I’m not an expert on the nuances, I think this bread is closer to a San Francisco style than their baseline recipe. The sourdough I’ve had in SFO was even more sour than this one, however, so I think some experimentation with levain maturity is in order.

• Like 1

Is there any mention in Modernist Bread of Georgian cheese breads, khachapuri?  Or other Georgian breads?  The index is no help, and I confess I have not finished reading MB cover to cover.*

*or more properly, covers to covers.

Started working on the SF Sourdough this am (stiff levain now in fridge until morning) - but realized I needed something to hold the family over so did the Pain Rustique with an extra 40 grams of light rye. Forgot to save some of the dough for my next pate fermente.

IMG_8361.thumb.JPG.b74401c74b13805bdfb1e01771d87292.JPG

It made two loaves - but one is pretty much eaten.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 6

IMG_8372.thumb.JPG.49f242309cda38121ed7e0135f62d706.JPG

SF Sourdough - sent a loaf to school with the child - when we went to pick her up one of the Educational Assistants commented how it tasted just like the bread she'd had down at Fisherman's Wharf

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 11

American pumpernickel - onions added after first turn as I failed to read recipe through before starting.

IMG_8442.thumb.JPG.ba043909d6b6bb879abe49fbce260512.JPG

• Like 5

German Sunflower Seed Rye Bread (p. 4•402)

This is a quite compact loaf, but not as dense as I expected based on the writeup. It's made with a very high percentage of rye levain, plus some rye flour and a small amount of wheat flour. The sunflower seeds are toasted and soaked before including, plus some extra sprinkled on top. A starch slurry would have helped a lot there, the seeds didn't want to stick to the top, they come off too easily. The taste and texture are quite good, though it's a bit of an odd-shaped loaf because it's so short.

DSC_7870.jpg

DSC_7874.jpg

• Like 4

• Similar Content

• By Tempranillo
      I have been tasked with putting together a team for a new kosher barbecue event in Arizona, happening sometime later this year. The event was supposed to be in mid-April, but the venue decided to cancel. The organizers are busy looking for a new venue, and have assured us that this will happen.

Many details for the event are not quite settled yet, so, I am trying to prepare for all sorts of contingencies beyond the usual concerns about putting out good food. What is known is that we will be following the KCBS kosher rules. As far as I can tell, there were 10-12 such events held last year across the US. So, it's a pretty small world. I don't think there's a kosher championship ladder like the other barbecue events have, either. I think it's a good time to get in, get practice and see where it takes me.

Now, I've been reading and watching videos online with all sorts of info on smoking/cooking for competitions. I have watched some of the TV shows, and one documentary. It's been kind of a mixed bag in terms of usefulness. No one has posted much about kosher barbecue, so I am making changes to recipes and procedures and running a lot of tests. I currently have access to my home kitchen which is small but adequate, the stove is electric and unremarkable and about 7 years old. It does maintain temperature well, and can be set to run anywhere from 140°F to 550°F.  I also have access to an outdoor kitchen at a friend's place, with a relatively large charcoal type grill. At most of the kosher barbecue events the event organizers provide smokers/grills plus meats and many ingredients to ensure that everything is truly kosher. If needed, my team sponsor is prepared to purchase a grill/smoker which I will need to research once I know I will need it.

I should note that I am not Jewish and did not grow up around any kosher households, so I am also studying some of the finer points about running a kosher kitchen and learning about kosher ingredients. Modern competition barbecue is an odd mix of modernist techniques and ingredients, right alongside ordinary-folk foods like margarine, and bottled sauces.

For reference, the 4 categories for kosher events are: Chicken, Beef Ribs, Turkey, and Beef Brisket -to be served in that order.

So far, I have been running smokeless tests on chicken and beef ribs. Mostly learning to trim the chicken thighs (what a nightmare!) and seeing what happens at certain temperatures and times. I know things will be different with real smoking happening, but I want to see some baseline results so that I know what to strive for. I do have a bunch of thermometers, and have got some basic ideas about writing a competition timeline.

The chicken perplexes me in several ways. First, some of the competition cooks recommend boning while others recommend bone-in. Second, I see some folks injecting and brining, while others maybe do a quick half hour marinade, and even others are full-on modernist with citric acid under the skin, etc. Third, the braise vs non- braise chicken where some people load up their pan with a pound of butter, margarine or a couple cups of chicken stock while others do not. Fourth, The bite-through skin is driving me insane. Some people swear by transglutaminase to reattach the skin for a better bite. Catch is, only some types are kosher, and I can see having issues explaining it. I have tested an egg white egg wash which seems to attach the skin pretty well without showing. I think I need to go for longer times to get more tender skin. Today I did a pan (with olive oil) of six as follows: one hour at 220°, one hour under foil at 230°, then glazed and 20 minutes on a rack at 350°. It was only partly bite-though and the taste-testers wanted more crispiness. I tried showing them pictures and explained that it wasn't ever going to be crispy, that we're looking to go even softer. I am going to run tests on longer cook periods and see how it goes.

I want to ask people about the whole swimming in margarine thing which is in voque right now. people claim it makes the chicken juicy. I know that meat is mostly all about temperatures. I can see how the margarine acts like duck fat in a confit and helps prevent some oven-drying after hours and hours in the oven, but, in the end, isn't it just an insulator?

I've been making corned beef and other brisket dishes for over 20 years, so, I think I have a good handle on that. I will practice it in a couple of weeks. I simply don't need as much help on this item.

The turkey scares me. On TV, I see people dunking it in butter before serving it. This obviously is not kosher, and I don't want to do it with margarine I don't want to present anything in a competition made with margarine, there has to be something better! -Either cook the bird better or find a better dip, like maybe a flavorful nut oil or a sauce. That said, unlike ribs or brisket, it is not traditional to dunk turkey in a sauce.  I went with some friends to a chain place called Dickies to do a little research and their turkey breast was odd and kind of hammy. Not like Virginia ham, more like ham lunchmeat. It was very moist and unlike any turkey I have ever eaten. Ok, I admit to not being very fond of turkey, so my experiences with it have been a bit limited. I am assuming it was brined. Given the limited amount of time we will have (about a day and a half) to cook, I am planning on just cooking the breast. Other than that, I am open to suggestions. The internet has been least informative on the topic of turkey. People's videos and such just show rubbing the whole bird and letting it roast for a few hours. Any tips at all would be appreciated.

Whew! Thanks for reading all of this, I look forward to any advice you can give.
    • By Sheel
      Goa being one of the popular cities of India is known for its local delicacies. These delicacies have been passed on from generation to generation, while some of them have continued to remain popular, some of them have lost their charm with the introduction of newer cuisines. Since the Portuguese entered Goa, they have had a strong influence on the local cuisine. A major turning point came when they introduced a variety of spices that changed their style of cooking completely. The Portuguese introduced plants like corn, pineapple,  papaya, sweet potato and cashews. One such example of a popular dish would be Pork Vindaloo. Goan food is a mix of hot and sour ingredients that make their seafood delectable. Kokum is one such ingredient which is known to be a tangy-sweet fruit. It is added in curries to render a sour taste and is often accompanied with seafood. Dried red chillies are one the most vital ingredients common among all the local delicacies that is either used in its whole form or ground into a fine paste. Since seafood is the soul of Goan food, it is preserved and relished in other forms too. Goan pickles are known to be quite famous. Prawn Balchao, a very famous prawn pickle prepared with dried red chillies is relished with a simple lentil curry and rice. Another delicacy is the Goan Para Fish made with mackerels, red chillies and goan vinegar. These are regular accompaniments with their routine meals. When talking about Goa, you cannot not mention their sausages. These mouth-watering and spicy sausages are made with pork and a variety of spices. Last but not the least, is the widely famous Goan bread, locally known as Poi. Leavened bread which is part of almost every meal and eaten with plain butter too. These ingredients make the cuisine extremely palatable and continue to make this cuisine stand out from the rest.
    • By liuzhou
      These have been mentioned a couple of times recently on different threads and I felt they deserved one of their own. After all, they did keep me alive when I lived in Xi'an.

Rou jia mo (ròu jiá mò; literally "Meat Sandwich") are Chinese sandwiches which originated in Shaanxi Province, but can be found all over China. Away from their point of origin, they tend to be made with long stewed pork belly. However in Xi'an (capital of Shaanxi), there is a large Muslim population so the meat of choice is more usually beef. In nearby Gansu Province, lamb or mutton is more likely.

When I was living in Xi'an in 1996-1997, I lived on these. I was living on campus in North-West University (西北大学) and right outside the school gate was a street lined with cheap food joints, most of which would serve you one. I had one favourite place which I still head to when I visit. First thing I do when I get off the train.

What I eat is Cumin Beef Jia Mo (孜然牛肉夹馍 zī rán niú ròu jiá mò). The beef is stir fried or grilled/BBQd with cumin and mild green peppers. It is also given a bit of a kick with red chill flakes.

Here is a recipe wrested from the owner of my Xi'an favourite. So simple, yet so delicious.

Lean Beef

Fairly lean beef is cut into slivers

Sliced  Beef

Chopped garlic

I use this single clove garlic from Sichuan, but regular garlic does just fine.

The beef and garlic are mixed in a bowl and generously sprinkled with ground cumin. This is then moistened with a little light soy sauce and Shaoxing wine. You don't want to flood it. Set aside for as long as you can.

Mild Green Chilli Pepper

Take one or two mild green peppers and crush with the back of a knife, then slice roughly. You could de-seed if you prefer. I don't bother.

Chopped Green Pepper

Fire up the wok, add oil (I use rice bran oil, but any  vegetable oil except olive oil would be fine) and stir fry the meat mixture until the meat is just done. 

Frying Tonight

Then add the green peppers and fry until they are as you prefer them. I tend to like them still with a bit of crunch, so slightly under-cook them

In with the peppers

You will, of course, have prepared the bread. The sandwiches are made with a type of flat bread known as 白吉饼 (bái jí bǐng; literally "white lucky cake-shape"). The ones here are store bought but I often make them. Recipe below.

Bai Ji Bing

Take one and split it. Test the seasoning of the filling, adding salt if necessary. It may not need it because of the soy sauce. 

Nearly there

Cover to make a sandwich  and enjoy. You will see that I have used a bunch of kitchen paper to hold the sandwich and to soak up any escaping juices. But it should be fairly dry.

The final product.

Note: I usually cook the meat and pepper in batches. Enough for one sandwich per person at a time. If we need another (and we usually do) I start the next batch. 

Bread Recipe

350g plain flour
      140ml water
      1/2 teaspoon instant yeast

Mix the yeast with the flour and stir in the water. Continue stirring until a dough forms. Knead until smooth. Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap and leave to rise by about one third. (maybe 30-40 minutes).

Knead again to remove any air then roll the dough into a log shape around 5cm in diameter, then cut into six portions. Press these into a circle shape using a rolling pin. You want to end up with 1.5cm thick buns. 

Preheat oven to 190C/370F.

Dry fry the buns in a skillet until they take on some colour about a minute or less on each side, then finish in the oven for ten minutes. Allow to cool before using.
    • By Chris Hennes
      A few weeks ago I checked out a copy of Madhur Jaffrey's Vegetarian India from the library, and it is well on its way to earning a permanent place in my collection. I've really enjoyed the recipes I've cooked from it so far, and thought I'd share a few of them here. Of course, if anyone else has cooked anything from the book please share your favorites here, too.

To kick things off, something that appears in nearly every meal I've cooked this month... a yogurt dish such as

Simple Seasoned Yogurt, South Indian-Style (p. 324)

• By flippant
      I've had the CSO for a number of years now, but have yet to actually bake bread in it.

Reading through the Modernist Bread thread on this forum I see many of you are using the CSO to great effect, which is heartening.

To that end, I would like to know about your experience baking bread in it – what sort of extra equipment you use (pans, cast iron? etc), what breads work the best, any corrections you find yourself making, or anything you feel might be useful to someone else using the CSO.

Thank you!