• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking with Myhrvold's "Modernist Bread: The Art and Science"

Raamo

AE7D97E6-8A93-4D22-B54E-B05CED4F639A.thumb.jpeg.cb561a53a821fcc61fc6b42c7fa67095.jpeg

100% High Rye.  There was no possibility of shaping this  nor of scoring it . It was more or less poured into the prepared pan. It began to darken very early in the baking process so I tented it with foil.  Very curious to see the crumb and to taste this bread. 

One cannot help but hope that at some point the Modernist Team prepares some videos. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3C9B0E32-6FF1-4FA2-9D31-0F68ABD3DEB8.thumb.jpeg.3b9231fc40e755e6cfe0ca86e51c63d2.jpeg

Crumb of 100% High Rye. Tasty. 

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Asked @Alleguede the next time he was near Grain Process Enterprises to grab me some rye kernel and cracked rye. Knew he was heading over here this evening for a quick visit so he ran there today for me.

IMG_7880.jpg.d32b6c310f32e0c40ac195964d38a4c4.jpg

This is the size container I ran out of.

IMG_7879.jpg.5c5c907057aef4effd7fe90c2705e140.jpg

This is what he brought!

Hope I like the vollkornbrot - cause there is a crapload in my future! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

I sense some pressure-caramelized rye inclusions in your future as well. 

True that - I do have some already in the fridge but there could be a whole lot more. What else in the book uses rye berries and cracked rye?

Well, I think that basically all of the various suggestions in the Ingredients volume for things you can do to grains apply here: you can sprout, nixtamalize, pressure-caramelize, soak, or just plain cook the whole berries. With a quick blitz in the blender you can make a porridge from the cracked kernels, plus you can soak, cook, or pressure-caramelize them. So that's a lot of different inclusions that you can add to various recipes. My recollection is that the Whole Grain loaf uses whole berries and potentially also cracked. I'd bet that most of the brick breads use one or the other.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Asked @Alleguede the next time he was near Grain Process Enterprises to grab me some rye kernel and cracked rye. Knew he was heading over here this evening for a quick visit so he ran there today for me.

IMG_7880.jpg.d32b6c310f32e0c40ac195964d38a4c4.jpg

This is the size container I ran out of.

IMG_7879.jpg.5c5c907057aef4effd7fe90c2705e140.jpg

This is what he brought!

Hope I like the vollkornbrot - cause there is a crapload in my future! 

Time to be moving to New Zealand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It was -19°C when I woke this morning and that does not factor in any wind chill. I needed very little encouragement to get the oven heating in order to bake the sourdough that had been cold proofing overnight in the refrigerator. 

E5C27948-AA15-473B-894C-5EB003CA0085.thumb.jpeg.01cea31fb1c6a87ae34e0a31e501d1df.jpeg

Two small sourdough bâtards.  I am a little annoyed with myself because I did intend to make one loaf and a few rolls but somehow I managed to forget my plan. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Try the distilled, liquid form (preferable barrel-aged). Much easier to process ...

That's actually the one that causes me indigestion - rye breads I have no issue with.

Hi Kerry, how long did you leave it in the chamber?   so far i tested 3 min for my pizza dough, with improvement at first stretch; then 5 minutes for my French baguette, some additional improvement, but in both cases, the window pane test was not achieved.

7719E5DB-96F5-430F-8043-62683CAD5C8A.thumb.jpeg.abb7cf6c7705dd0cff830996f22b5530.jpeg

The sourdough crumb. It is definitely beginning to develop some sourness 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, ChezAndré said:

Hi Kerry, how long did you leave it in the chamber?   so far i tested 3 min for my pizza dough, with improvement at first stretch; then 5 minutes for my French baguette, some additional improvement, but in both cases, the window pane test was not achieved.

Couple (that would be 2) rounds of around 30 seconds.

IMG_7884.thumb.JPG.edeeb2d6cc00dc0a50126a052855878b.JPG

IMG_7885.thumb.JPG.a56c7f486bd013d3c349ed8fc2f73854.JPG

Didn't cut all that easily - electric knife wanted nothing to do with it. The Montana Works knife did! Hard to get thin slices. Outside way too firm, middles quite nice.

• Like 1

I shall have to give this one a try.

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_7881.thumb.JPG.492ae722e53c65a53ce800db418275b4.JPG

batch of lean french - kinda missed a few turns while I was at work

IMG_7888.thumb.JPG.ee803e5c9b92a0fd2a9ebd7d0ed97287.JPG

cold bottom warm top IMG_7889.thumb.JPG.3446b6560becc9bb8ad1a879ed95d7e8.JPG

seems to be permanently attached to the lid - but looks nice! 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, rob1234 said:

Looks like it barely fits in the combo cooker. Is that 1kg of dough? I've been debating if I should just try 1kg or scale the recipes to the recommended 850g for the combo cooker.

Yup - 1 kg. I think 850 g makes sense.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_7884.thumb.JPG.edeeb2d6cc00dc0a50126a052855878b.JPG

IMG_7885.thumb.JPG.a56c7f486bd013d3c349ed8fc2f73854.JPG

Didn't cut all that easily - electric knife wanted nothing to do with it. The Montana Works knife did! Hard to get thin slices. Outside way too firm, middles quite nice.

Montana Works?

Edit:  never mind...found it.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I need a bigger fridge so I can try the 'daily bread' method.  That has been one of the more intriguing concepts i've ran across.   Also, got my book last friday as a late christmas present to myself!  I feel slightly insane by having it as one of my first bread books, but I always wanted Modernist Cuisine but couldn't justify it due to not having access to a lot of the methods and ingredients. 

Hopefully I'll have some pictures and antidotes to share soon.

• Like 1