• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

underproofed

underproofed

I made an attempt at the Master Sourdough recipe, but I didn't get the results I was hoping for. My crumb was tight, and not as open as I wanted. Was it because the dough was underproofed? I proofed it in my 39 F refrigerator for 21 hours. The recipe suggests 12-16 hrs, but the dough didn't feel proofed enough during that time range. I am using a fairly young levain; 10 hours after feeding. The levain passes the float test, and actually starts receding from its peak height at 12 hrs, so I thought 10 hrs would be sufficient.

Can anyone offer any insight on what the problem might be and how I could ensure a more open crumb next time?

mzxAI1b.jpg

KJt7xBf.jpg

underproofed

underproofed

I made an attempt at the Master Sourdough recipe, but I didn't get the results I was hoping for. My crumb was tight, and not as open as I wanted. Was it because the dough was underproofed? I proofed it in my 39 C refrigerator for 21 hours. The recipe suggests 12-16 hrs, but the dough didn't feel proofed enough during that time range. I am using a fairly young levain; 10 hours after feeding. The levain passes the float test, and actually starts receding from its peak height at 12 hrs, so I thought 10 hrs would be sufficient.

Can anyone offer any insight on what the problem might be and how I could ensure a more open crumb next time?

mzxAI1b.jpg

KJt7xBf.jpg