• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoaoBertinatti

JoaoBertinatti

confusing post

13 hours ago, Al Percival said:

Thanks Teo.  I'll wait to hear back from @JoaoBertinatti about his experience with adding vital wheat gluten and then I might try again with the artificially enriched flour.    Here is Australia there is very little choice in flours, despite Australia being quite a big wheat producer.   It shows in the quality of the baked goods and breads available which are mostly pretty dreadful.     

I had 5% gluten added at every step there was flour, even in making the 3 builds.  Brazil is a big wheat producer as well, but people want always the cheapest stuff here...  you see, I think if you mix more than 10' in the first step it should work without gluten IF you lower the hydration... maybe if you don't add the water at the last step with 11.5% it could work. And yes, everytime I mixed for  only 5 minutes or less it looked like cake batter when I started adding water.... and at first I thought it was overmixed but no. Btw my best flour here is 9.8%. I have read somewhere in the book that the best approach when bread flour or high gluten flour is required, would be adding gluten and the second best approach, adding more flour... I know that here in Brazil, they do panettones without added gluten and with lower hydratation, so it should work, you will probably end with smaller alveoli .... at last, I think that if you kept mixing for 45 minutes at highest speed that cake batter ((with a few rests in freezer) it could work something out, because if you take look at gateau battu, why not....

JoaoBertinatti

JoaoBertinatti

confusing post

13 hours ago, Al Percival said:

Thanks Teo.  I'll wait to hear back from @JoaoBertinatti about his experience with adding vital wheat gluten and then I might try again with the artificially enriched flour.    Here is Australia there is very little choice in flours, despite Australia being quite a big wheat producer.   It shows in the quality of the baked goods and breads available which are mostly pretty dreadful.     

I had 5% gluten added at every step there was flour, even in making the 3 builds.  Brazil is a big wheat producer as well, but people want always the cheapest stuff here...  you see, I think if you mix more than 10' in the first step it should work without gluten IF you lower the hydration... maybe if you don't add the water at the last step with 11.5% it could work. And yes, everytime I mixed for  only 5 minutes or less it looked like cake batter when I started adding water.... and at first I thought it was overmixed but no. Btw my best flour here is 9.8%. I have read somewhere in the book that the best approach when bread flour or high gluten flour is required, would be adding gluten and the second best approach, adding more flour... I know that here in Brazil, they do panettones without added gluten and with lower hydratation, so it should work, in fact, I'm now thinking in trying  without gluten and lowering at least 10% net water just for fun this saturday .... at last, I think that if you kept mixing for 45 minutes at highest speed that cake batter ((with a few rests in freezer) it could work something out, because if you take look at gateau battu, why not....

JoaoBertinatti

JoaoBertinatti

9 hours ago, Al Percival said:

I had the 5% gluten added at every step there was flour, brazil is a big wheat producer as well, but people want always the cheapest stuff here...  you see, I think if you mix more than 10' in the first step it should work without gluten IF you lower the hydration. Yes, the times i mixed for 5 minutes it looked like cake batter and at first I thought it was overmixed but no. In order to make using that flour without gluten i would think of lowering hydration, maybe if you don't add the water at last step. Btw my best flour here is 9.8%. I have read somewhere in the book that the best approach would be adding gluten and the second best, adding more flour... at last, I think that if you kept mixing for 45 minutes at highest speed that cake batter, it would work something out, because look at gateau battu mixing method, who knows hahaha