• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ChezAndré

ChezAndré

In the pizza dough above... modified cornstarch... i associate its use as having a better freezer (frost-defrost) handling... to add it to my pizza dough, i would want to see some research underlying that..  as a dough relaxant?... if i can't toss it up in the air that is not good..... The modification is done with a specific purpose in mind, to solve a technical baking issue ( such a the cornstarch weeping when defrosting), different manufacturers of "modified cornstarch" are not necessarily interchangeable.    

I still like the CIA pizza dough with their addition of semolina (and i use a mix of bread and all purpose flour)... the only place where i use only bread flour is for my bagels.   And my sandwich bread, hamburger and subs buns, i use all purpose flour and pastry flour...   

ChezAndré

ChezAndré

In the pizza dough above... modified cornstarch... i associate its use as having a better freezer (frost-defrost) handling... to add it to my pizza dough, i would want to see some research underlying that..  The modification is done with a specific purpose in mind, to solve a technical baking issue ( such a the cornstarch weeping when defrosting), different manufacturers of "modified cornstarch" are not necessarily interchangeable.    

I still like the CIA pizza dough with their addition of semolina (and i use a mix of bread and all purpose flour)... the only place where i use only bread flour is for my bagels.   And my sandwich bread, hamburger and subs buns, i use all purpose flour and pastry flour...