• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Mis-pasted!

42 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks, Chris!  Do you know if the Organic AP is equivalent?  I'd also love to know which of their flours King Arthur thinks is closest to T55.  The ash in the AP seems far too low from what I see.

I take it back, actually their website is quite clear:

SIR GALAHAD

11.7% Protein • .50% Ash • Malted, Enriched

This is the flour of choice for artisan breads and yeasted pastries. Equivalent to a French Type 55 (milled from premium hard winter wheat), it can best be described as an all-purpose or low-protein bread flour, making it very versatile in a bakery. It yields a dough that handles easily and has great fermentation tolerance. Ideal for artisan breads, laminated dough, and Neapolitan pizza as well as cookies, scones, and quick breads.

50lb. #12050

So, if you are OK with only .50% ash, they think this is the closest. If you really want to get up near .55% ash, they offer:

ORGANIC SELECT ARTISAN

11.7% Protein • .55% Ash • Malted

An organic equivalent to a French Type 55 with slightly more ash (milled from premium hard winter wheat) can best be described as an all-purpose or low-protein bread flour making it very versatile in bakery. Yields a dough that handles easily and has great fermentation tolerance. Ideal for artisan breads, laminated dough, and Neapolitan pizza as well as cookies, scones, and quick breads.

50 lb. #23050

Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

41 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks, Chris!  Do you know if the Organic AP is equivalent?  I'd also love to know which of their flours King Arthur thinks is closest to T55.  The ash in the AP seems far too low from what I see.

I take it back, actually their website is quite clear:

SIR GALAHAD

11.7% Protein • .50% Ash • Malted, Enriched

This is the flour of choice for artisan breads and yeasted pastries. Equivalent to a French Type 55 (milled from premium hard winter wheat), it can best be described as an all-purpose or low-protein bread flour, making it very versatile in a bakery. It yields a dough that handles easily and has great fermentation tolerance. Ideal for artisan breads, laminated dough, and Neapolitan pizza as well as cookies, scones, and quick breads.

50lb. #12050

So, if you are OK with only .50% ash, they think this is the closest. If you really want to get up near .55% ash, they offer:

TYPE 00 FLOUR

11% Protein • .54% Ash

This silky smooth flour is made from select US wheats. It provides the strength and extensibility required for pizza dough that yields authentic Neapolitan pizza crusts. Optimized for baking at high temperatures to produce the perfect blend of crispness and chew, with the puffy, leopard-spotted cornicione that enthusiasts expect.

50lb. #205105