• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank

On 12/3/2017 at 12:36 PM, teonzo said:

I would say so. Just think about these 2 questions:

1- how could you get a vacuum in the jar if the tool you are using is an oven?

2- if there was vacuum in the jar, what would happen to the bread when you open the jar and the dough is subjected to a quick change of pressure from 0 bar to 1 bar?

Bread in a jar is akin to jams or preserves, not to sous vide storage.

Please notice I don't have Modernist Bread so I don't know what they wrote there.

This sounds really interesting. If you can share what you find I would be grateful, thanks!

Teo

About the same time as I wrote here, I wrote to ModernistBread at Modernistcuisine.com with the same original question, and have not heard a peep from them.

I did find this page (Home Canned Cake from HealthyCanning.com) full of useful information, basically coming down on the side of, 'don't do it', because bread is such a great vehicle for botulism.  And they mentioned a couple of recipes which were reportedly promoted around or after WWII and formulated to have a safe pH when the recipes were followed precisely, which fits with the article I found traces of but haven't gotten my hands on yet. 

Another reference is a PDF of a Food Fact Safety Sheet from Utah State University Extension that also unequivocally recommends against canning bread.

I'm still curious about preparing bread in the pressure cooker, because I love the pressure cooker, but until I know more, I certainly won't be attempting to keep the result long-term at room temperature.  

Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank

2- if there was vacuum in the jar, what would happen to the bread when you open the jar and the dough is subjected to a quick change of pressure from 0 bar to 1 bar?

Please notice I don't have Modernist Bread so I don't know what they wrote there.

This sounds really interesting. If you can share what you find I would be grateful, thanks!

Teo

About the same time as I wrote here, I wrote to ModernistBread at Modernistcuisine.com with the same original question, and have not heard a peep from them.

I did find this page (Home Canned Cake from HealthyCanning.com) full of useful information, basically coming down on the side of, 'don't do it', because bread is such a great vehicle for botulism.  And they mentioned a couple of recipes which were reportedly promoted around or after WWII and formulated to have a safe pH when the recipes were followed precisely, which fits with the article I found traces of but haven't gotten my hands on yet. 

Another reference is a PDF of a Food Fact Safety Sheet from Utah State University Extension that also unequivocally recommends against canning bread.

I'm still curious about preparing bread in the pressure cooker, because I love the pressure cooker, but until I know more, I certainly won't be attempting to keep it long-term at room temperature.  

Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank

Teo

I'm still curious about preparing bread in the pressure cooker, but until I know more, I certainly won't be attempting to keep it long-term at room temperature.  

Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank

Teo

I did find this page full of useful information, basically coming down on the side of, 'don't do it', because bread is such a great vehicle for botulism.  And they mentioned a couple of recipes which were reportedly promoted around or after WWII and formulated to have a safe pH when the recipes were followed precisely, which fits with the article I found traces of but haven't gotten my hands on yet.  I'm still curious about preparing bread in the pressure cooker, but until I know more, I certainly won't be attempting to keep it long-term at room temperature. 

Home Canned Cake from HealthyCanning.com