• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This may be a silly question, but when using a banneton how to you transfer the proofed dough to the peel?

Exactly the same way that  porcupines  make love… Carefully!

Seriously I tip the banneton and catch the dough with my hand and transfer it to whatever surface it is I’m going to bake it on. You could also tip it gently directly onto a peel and then transfer it to your baking surface. Tipping a banneton into a screaming hot Dutch oven is not something I would recommend. I’ve tried many times and either burned myself, deflated the dough completely or both. 

Others may have other techniques. 

Anna N

Anna N

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This may be a silly question, but when using a banneton how to you transfer the proofed dough to the peel?

Exactly the same way that  porcupines  make love… Carefully!

Seriously I tip the banneton and catch the dough with my hand and transfer it to whatever surface it is I’m going to bake it on. You could also tip it gently directly onto a peel and then transfer it to your baking surface. Tipping a banneton into a screaming hot Dutch oven is not something I would recommend. I’ve tried many times and either burned myself, deflated the dough completely or both.