• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

16 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Id like to try that vacuum thing-y.

my copy has not arrived

I bet the sealing is to lee[ the dough moist

do you let it rise in the bag ?

You do not let it rise in the bag but you do let it autolyse for 30 minutes.  So I would assume that sealing the bag prevents the dough from drying out for this 30 minutes. Also they note that you can use either a chamber vac or a food saver type machine.  With the latter you must seal to get a vacuum.  They said there was little difference between the two machines in terms of the final product.

So the steps are

Dissolve the yeast in 95% of the water or if using a preferment dissolve that in the water. Combine with the flour. Mix the two together until you reach the shaggy dough stage. 

Put into vacuum bag (or if there’s too much into a lightly oiled tub or bowl that will fit into the chamber vac (or use a food saver container)

Vacuum using the full power of your machine. 

Then you autolyse for 30 minutes before removing the dough and continuing with the recipe. 

Hope this helps. 

Anna N

Anna N

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Id like to try that vacuum thing-y.

my copy has not arrived

I bet the sealing is to lee[ the dough moist

do you let it rise in the bag ?

You do not let it rise in the bag that you do let it autolyse for 30 minutes So I would assume that sealing.  the bag prevents the door from drying out for this 30 minutes. Also they note that you can use either a chamber vac or a food saver type machine.  With the latter you must seal to get a vacuum.  They said there was little difference between the two machines in terms of the final product.

Set of the steps are

Dissolve the yeast in 95% of the water or if using a preferment dissolve that in the water. Combine with the flour. Mix the two together until you reach the shaggy dough stage. 

Put into vacuum bag (or if there’s too much into a lightly oiled tub or bowl that will fit into the chamber vac (or use a food saver container)

Vacuum using the full power of your machine. 

Then you autolyse for 30 minutes before removing the dough and continuing with the recipe. 

Hope this helps.