• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Magnetic Knife Strip, Be It Wooden, Stainless, Whatever

weinoo

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

I stopped using toggle bolts many years ago. Yes, they really hold, but if you need to temporarily remove whatever has been mounted, say for painting, the toggle is lost and has to be replaced.

I use drywall anchors (see picture below) but I probably wouldn't use them in your plaster walls. Instead of a toggle that flattens against the inner wall, the "tang" area spreads out to form the inner wall load bearing surface. Because it has a built-in washer on outside surface of the anchor it remains firmly in place if you have to remove whatever you have mounted.

Drywall Anchor.jpg

I tried those.

They did not work well for me here. :(

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for letting me know about the wooden magnetic knife blocks.  I ordered one and installed it yesterday.  Let me tell you about our recent saga involving knife strips.  A few months ago, my son complained about how cluttered our counter tops had become and how hard it was to keep them clean. He threatened to reorganize the kitchen.  In order to prevent having to look in vain for stuff when he did that, I did it myself.  I mentioned in another thread how I replaced a huge rubber cutting board and am using another smaller one that is not kept on the counter. I got a knife block from Bed, Bath and B.  It didn't look all that great but it worked. It was cluttered looking with all the knives on it as well.  I got a knife holder for  a drawer for steak knives and for knives that were too long for the magnets.  We decided two magnet knife blocks would be better and Charlie wanted the ones from Ikea.  We put up one and the knives didn't hang straight for some reason.  We put up one knife block above the other to fix that problem. The one from BB&B is barely seen by the window. I stuck it there for no real reason except I didn't want to waste it and until we can think of a better use for it, it stays there.  Meantime I saw this thread and decided the  it would be nice for the second one. It is now up too.  I thought the M.O.C. ones looked best.  It is working well but the hangers and directions that came with it were lacking.  The instructions for hanging it were written by a liability lawyer and were not helpful. It just told me about the dangers of hanging it in stupid places for obvious reasons.  The anchors broke and had to be chiseled off to be flush with the wall and then I used a Command sticky strip to keep it from being wobbly.  Here are some pictures of our knives.  I know I have too many. I seldom use most of them.  It is the same with most things in my life. I get what I think I need then get distracted by new, shiner objects and soon I have a houseful. 

20171202_091605.jpg

20171202_092317.jpg

20171202_092349.jpg

20171202_093208.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

It is the same with most things in my life. I get what I think I need then get distracted by new, shiner objects and soon I have a houseful. 

Isn't that the truth!  At least, it is for me as well.  

Your kitchen looks great.  Thanks for showing us the finished result.  I may be able to take an idea or two away, lest my husband reorganize our kitchen.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

We decided two magnet knife blocks would be better and Charlie wanted the ones from Ikea.  We put up one and the knives didn't hang straight for some reason.  We put up one knife block above the other to fix that problem.

Thanks for this comment.  I am planning an Ikea trip for next week and wanted to pick up the knife blocks.  I have a space over the sink that's about 34" wide so I was going to mount 2 of them side-by-side.  Sounds like maybe I should buy 4 of them instead.  Then drive myself crazy trying to get them level and parallel xD

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

Here are some pictures of our knives.  I know I have too many. I seldom use most of them.

One can never be too rich, too skinny ... OR ... have too many knives.  ;)

• Haha 5

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;