• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc Susses out Seattle

Kerry Beal

12 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Now you are beginning to show your true colours!   That is a meal I could schmooze up to. 

Indeed you could have! And you'd be able to handle the heat in the larb! 

• Like 1

It is the traditional Thai style to serve everything at once, that way you jump around between dishes.  Ideally, you would have a few dishes with different flavors - some spicy, some bitter, some sour, etc... and eating the dishes jumping around like that can really balance things out.

That works great in Thailand where space isn't necessarily at a premium, so a two top looks like a table for 4 in the US.  The problem here is that real estate is so expensive that they make the tables really small and put them together to maximize space.  That kind of puts a damper on the whole jumping around thing as the table gets overcrowded and there is no room to put anything.  I always thought they should use some type of tiered table with plates on elevated racks over other plates... when you run out of space in 2D, move to 3D....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nice.  You are just getting into the stride of it in time to come home. xD

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_7556.thumb.JPG.cdf7d4f697fd19348edf0aaae5f88f5f.JPG

IMG_7557.thumb.JPG.f7d2f851dbe44c2683a74b2892abd3a1.JPG

IMG_7558.thumb.JPG.631a535aaefa2e9efd5c12477861e3b7.JPG

I opted for the Brussels sprout hash at Ten West - and I'm glad I did!

I was going to say that it looked like my kind of breakfast, especially with the way the eggs were cooked - and then I saw the words "Brussels sprout" and had to swallow my words.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I don’t buy it.  NO amount of bacon can make Brussels sprouts appealing to me. xDxD

They are a crop grown for the cows!>:(

MOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I love brussels sprouts xD

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

Now you are beginning to show your true colours!   That is a meal I could schmooze up to. 

Me too.

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I don't like Brussels sprouts - but enough bacon and frying them makes them into a different beast altogether 

I like Brussels sprouts but I made a roasted Brussels sprouts lasagna that I'd stumbled across a recipe for a couple years ago and the resulting cruciferous vegetable induced suffering was so bad the next day that I haven't eaten them since. I spent the first part of the next day at work standing bent at about a 45ish degree angle because it was too painful to stand up straight then I (and probably my coworkers, as well) spent the rest of the day happy that exhaust hood is right where I spend most of my time at work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

Me too.

I (and probably my coworkers, as well) spent the rest of the day happy that exhaust hood is right where I spend most of my time at work.

Can't quite remember when  I last laughed this hard!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

You do - and you have to wait an outrageously long time in line to get food from them even if you go at the end of the day!

Apparently up across from your booth there is a bakery that is selling croissant sandwiches and sold out of the ridiculous number that they brought very early - I think today I might just run up there first thing and grab a couple so we have them if we want them. Our thought this morning was to grab a bigger breakfast then we might not need anything until supper.

Food trucks. 

Stand in line. Eat with plastic utensils off of styrofoam trays whilst standing outdoors. 

Id rather do McDs 

And I despise McDs

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Food trucks. 

Stand in line. Eat with plastic utensils off of styrofoam trays whilst standing outdoors. 

Id rather do McDs 

And I despise McDs

Do you dine at many music festivals?*  Whilst standing outdoors?  How 'bout sitting in the mud.

*not counting Glyndebourne.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

Food trucks. 

Id rather do McDs 

And I despise McDs

There's some really good food to be found on food trucks and it's not really conducive to fine china and antique silver utensils. But I suppose one must have one's standards regarding what they're willing to shovel the food into their mouth with.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

31 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

There's some really good food to be found on food trucks and it's not really conducive to fine china and antique silver utensils. But I suppose one must have one's standards regarding what they're willing to shovel the food into their mouth with.

Yes. That's true.

But its just really unattractive to me.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

@rotuts a sandwich or a wrap would OK from an FT. But plastic forks...feh.  And Styrofoam plates balanced on your lap ...annoying and awkward.  Give me a table to eat at, it'd be OK I guess.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

@rotuts a sandwich or a wrap would OK from an FT. But plastic forks...feh.  And Styrofoam plates balanced on your lap ...annoying and awkward.  Give me a table to eat at, it'd be OK I guess.

'My SO hates plastic ware so much he carries around a camping fork thing in a little plastic case in case he needs it.

• Like 5

Delay on our departure from Minneapolis - they will let us know in 30 minutes how much longer the delay will be!

Thank god for cheese curds bought at Pikes Place

IMG_7576.thumb.JPG.7fabb6fde3570f2ef233d42bed39762b.JPG

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Delay on our departure from Minneapolis - they will let us know in 30 minutes how much longer the delay will be!

Thank god for cheese curds bought at Pikes Place.

Hi, thanks for your postings and photos, here's a small correction: The real name is "Pike Place Market." 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SusieQ said:

Hi, thanks for your postings and photos, here's a small correction: The real name is "Pike Place Market." 

Good to know! Thanks