• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc Susses out Seattle

Kerry Beal

Paris is so last week! This week I am winging my way to Seattle for the Northwest Chocolate Festival. EZtemper has a booth and I will be doing a tempering demo as part of the show on Sunday.

This evening I will hike on over (make that Uber on over) to Indi Chocolate in Pike's Place to show them how to use the new to them enrober for their Selmi.

@Alleguede was to have been with me this am but last night when the email inviting me to check in for my flight arrived I noticed it said we were flying via Atlanta rather than Minneapolis - and leaving two hours earlier! Apparently the Minneapolis route was dropped in September but it didn't occur to Delta to mention it to us! Poor Amir at Delta customer service seemed a little surprised at the language coming out of Dr Beal's mouth. 

Anyway - @Alleguede was not going to make it for a 10:30 departure and is not attending the Unconference anyway so we were able to switch him to a flight tomorrow which actually worked out better as far as his business goes. 

So so here I sit in the Plaza Premium lounge in Pearson terminal 3. It's a pay as you go lounge as Delta doesn't have a lounge here - but my credit card gives me some lounge passes. 

Breakfast, such as it is, at least they cook the eggs for you when you ask.

IMG_7451.thumb.JPG.156dd0cfb73da08b5f86525135690d2c.JPG

Don't be horrified by the ketchup with the eggs! 

I'm doing the high protein breakfast and lunch today and the high carb dinner. I have two cups of tea and a latte in my belly - then no more caffeine until tomorrow. 

Edited by Kerry Beal
Eliminate a stray J (log)
  • Like 10

Are they really beans on your breakfast? Are you trying to clear space around you on the plane?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Are they really beans on your breakfast? Are you trying to clear space around you on the plane?

That's the idea - that will teach them to change my itinerary!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Scrambled eggs should always be accompanied by ketchup.

Yeah, it's great for distracting a toddler long enough to eat your own (uncontaminated) eggs in peace. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

The snacks they brought around are all carbs - knew I should have brought some cheese and pepperettes 

Can you ask for some cheese and crackers?

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Paris is so last week! This week I am winging my way to Seattle for the Northwest Chocolate Festival. EZtemper has a booth and I will be doing a tempering demo as part of the show on Sunday.

This evening I will hike on over (make that Uber on over) to Indi Chocolate in Pike's Place to show them how to use the new to them enrober for their Selmi.

@Alleguede was to have been with me this am but last night when the email inviting me to check in for my flight arrived I noticed it said we were flying via Atlanta rather than Minneapolis - and leaving two hours earlier! Apparently the Minneapolis route was dropped in September but it didn't occur to Delta to mention it to us! Poor Amir at Delta customer service seemed a little surprised at the language coming out of Dr Beal's mouth. 

Anyway - @Alleguede was not going to make it for a 10:30 departure and is not attending the Unconference anyway so we were able to switch him to a flight tomorrow which actually worked out better as far as his business goes. 

So so here I sit in the Plaza Premium lounge in Pearson terminal 3. It's a pay as you go lounge as Delta doesn't have a lounge here - but my credit card gives me some lounge passes. 

Breakfast, such as it is, at least they cook the eggs for you when you ask.

IMG_7451.thumb.JPG.156dd0cfb73da08b5f86525135690d2c.JPG

Don't be horrified by the ketchup with the eggs! 

I'm doing the high protein breakfast and lunch today and the high carb dinner. I have two cups of tea and a latte in my belly - then no more caffeine until tomorrow. 

You're reminding me of a past experience, where the airline (which one is no longer in my memory) neglected to tell me that they'd cancelled my flight from Tucson to wherever hub I was going through. I got to Arizona without a problem, but realized that there was an issue when I tried to check in on line for my flight home, and no flight from TUS to (hub) was listed, just (hub) to Syracuse. Apparently the cancellation had happened weeks if not months before, yet they never bothered to notify me! Nor did they ever tell me how I was supposed to get to the hub for my flight home. Since then, I've gotten anal about checking flight arrangements that are made way in advance, to make sure I don't get stuck again.

• Haha 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Damn.  You must be close to Seattle by now. 

My 2004 eG Blog

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822ccThree hours to go

Chicken stir fry - is there anything in the world that someone won't put quinoa in?

IMG_7458.thumb.JPG.b8107deb5fb2dc5852b4692bdab901b7.JPG

Not letting me upload pics for some reason - will try later 

IMG_7456.JPG

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

No kale with that quinoa? They are slipping up. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

After I arrived in Seattle I went over to Indi Chocolate in Pike's Market - they have just built a fabulous factory and cafe where you can learn to make bean to bar chocolate or buy what they have made.

IMG_7460.thumb.JPG.f34cea93e4fd678fd2c8918e391f0bb4.JPG

A big melanger.

IMG_7461.thumb.JPG.2be55e9a1647525f44e23ce963f617ca.JPG

Glenn - the chocolate maker who was wooed from NYC - had no experience with the Selmi enrober - so we played with it and got it running. I managed to adjust the detailer right the first time! I was impressed - Glenn didn't know he should be impressed - he'll learn.

He had put together a ganache that we hand cut to enrobe.

IMG_7462.thumb.JPG.1b506165029c4999c19eb9f54f911c00.JPG

A few little bugs we'll discuss with the Tomric people over the weekend.

llo

• Like 9

Ubering home - I got talking to the driver and mentioned that with all the running around I hadn't eaten. We had already passed any variety stores and he insisted I take the 'crackers' from his trunk that he keeps for emergencies if he has a long day driving.

Two packages of these and I'm off to bed 

IMG_7463.thumb.JPG.bd953af04310067fcd985e1c68c98363.JPG

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Ubering home - I got talking to the driver and mentioned that with all the running around I hadn't eaten. We had already passed any variety stores and he insisted I take the 'crackers' from his trunk that he keeps for emergencies if he has a long day driving.

Two packages of these and I'm off to bed 

IMG_7463.thumb.JPG.bd953af04310067fcd985e1c68c98363.JPG

Nice man!  

• Like 1

Doesn’t appear to be an awful lot better than breakfast. I’m holding out for decent supper for you.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog