• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's your earliest/latest/average dinnertime?

I tend to eat late--> Last night dinner was served around 9:45 (though that's a bit extreme). I think I never quite adjusted since getting back from Spain . . . dinner used to start at 10:30ish or later when we ate in and eating early seems foreign now. I prefer later reservations in restaurants as well.

Does anybody else here like an early lunch?  I usually eat lunch between 11 and 11:30, but I have no qualms about digging in to a couple of slices of pizza at 10:15, and then I'm good until dinner.  The amount of breakfast I eat doesn't seem to matter much, although the time I wake up does.

I do. On weekdays I eat breakfast around 6:30 AM, and since it's usually cereal or toast I'm very hungry by noon.

My last two years of high school, I had the last lunch period, which was 1 PM. I had to get up at 5:30 AM and didn't have much opportunity for snacking mid-morning, so the late lunch was really cruel. And, we had gym right before lunch--it was loads of fun when the gym teachers kept us late!

Edited by BklynEats (log)

Breakfast, 7-730a

Lunch, 1130a-12p

Afternoon snack (2nd sandwich ;) 3-330p

Dinner 8-9p

If I don't have some sort of snack around 3-330 I come close to passing out my desk tired (low blood sugar)... I'd rather eat dinner earlier from a health perspective, but many nights I'll be up late tweaking things in the kitchen. Pizza and the like tend to keep one up later than expected (if making from scratch).

-s

At home we usually eat around 6 or 6:30. I like to eat earlier not so much to avoid going to bed full but so I can have enough time to eat some kind of dessert around 8 or 9 and then maybe a little cheese and fruit before bed (preferably with some port). Or the other way around.

When we're in Italy eating dinner out is always a problem, more for Judith than me since she gets really hungry by 6 or so. Most restaurants don't open until 8 pm, and many times we've been the only people eating then. We learned a better strategy for eating out is to eat a big afternoon meal when everything closes at 1 (most restaurants stay open). Then we'd eat a smaller dinner back at home (we usually rent a house).

I prefer to eat lunch a little early, too. If I've brought it from home I eat at my desk around 11 so I can get to the gym before the noon rush...if I'm eating out (and not working out), I like to get in ahead of the lunch rush (or even the line at the food cart...I hate waiting in line for food). I'll often bring some fruit and cheese for an afternoon snack, too.

Jim

hmmmm...sounds like I eat all the time...not too far from the truth

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I typicall like to eat around 7 to 8, but on occasion (like last night) won't eat until 9 due to whatever. I'm rather flexible when I eat and if I'm cooking an elaborate meal that for some reason won't be ready until later, it's not a problem. But that's usually because I'm tasting throughout the entire process!

When I was working though dinner was closer to between 6 and 7 rather than later.

6/8-9/10:30-11

6:00 PM is the earliest, when acompaning folks from out-of-town on their way to theatre.

8-9 PM is the norm with the 30 minutes to adjust to weather and seasonal changes.

10:30 - 11 PM is what I have when in South America, or in India or HongKong.

anil

Does anybody else here like an early lunch?

Me! I'm usually ready for lunch by 11. My kids are up at the crack of dawn, so breakfast is very early, between 6 and 7. If I waited until 12 or 1 for lunch I'd be dying of hunger.

The kids are in bed by 7, so we eat dinner around 5 or 5:30. My husband works at home so we don't have to plan meals around a commute.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

This is interesting. Last weekend I was talking to an acquaintance about a local high school basketball game, and he thought it was appalling that it was at 5 pm. "That's dinnertime! It should either be before dinner or after." I laughed and then remembered he was from the midwest. Actually, he may have said supper. I don't really remember. I grew up with dinner (on the west coast) at about 6:30 every night. Now, we have dinner at about the same time. Breakfast at 6am , lunch at 11:30 or so, and dinner at 6:30. Wine with dinner nearly always. Nap on couch afterwards.

Actually, I heard that weight loss or rather inability to lose weight is related to lack of sleep.

You ready for this? I like to eat dinner as early as 4:30. Any later than 6:30-7 and I get cranky, probably because I eat lunch around 11. I don't usually do breakfast.

Since I am in school now and in class in the evening, I get dinner around 6:30 and sometime as late as 7:30. I eat lunch at 10:30. My preferred routine really gets messed up when i go home to see my parents. They do breakfast whenever I get up, which is around 10 usually, despite my protests that I will want to eat lunch in an hour. Then lunch is around 2, and dinner is 7:30ish. GAHH :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

My eating habits and times have changed so many times in the last few years that I'm not sure I have truly established a pattern that works.

I grew up eating larger lunches and smaller dinners during the week and opposite on the weekends. Dinner was usually around 6pm.

When I worked a 9-5 schedule I started with breakfast around 7am, lunch at 12pm and dinner at 7pm.

Now, hubby and I have everchanging schedules and I eat whenever I feel like it. I don't stick to any sort of schedule because my lifestyle doesn't allow it.

When we decide to start a family I will try to keep the 6pm dinner schedule that seems to be quite popular.

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

We eat two meals, lunch & supper. Breakfast is milk in my coffee. Meal times seem to be dictated by our work schedules -- lunch is generally more substantial and gets eaten between 12 and 3, supper is a nonexistent/snack/light meal depending on how late I or my husband got lunch. During the week I don't really cook, I assemble meals from prepared ingredients. Yesterday lunch was a real meal @ 2:00, and dinner was crackers, celery, nuts, and half a bottle of chardonnay beginning @ 8:30. I slept like a baby.

10:30 - 11 PM is what  I have when in South America.....

For a snack or a meal? When we're there, the big meal of the day is about 1:30 in the afternoon.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx