• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spelt and Quinoa flour loaf

oofencocotte

Hi there, 

I've got some spelt flour and some quinoa flour and some chia seeds, and a good sourdough starter.

And a 1lb bread tin.

I know there's a great loaf of bread in there somewhere but I can't find the right recipe online. I tried to wing it last week and it was really doughy. Can anyone help?

Many thanks

Edited by happytown (log)

Fine milling, and long fermentation times will be your friends. You also want to have at least 50% spelt, if not more.

The quinoa doesn't really add much except minerals and protein to the loaf. It's not something that will improve texture -that flour would be better used in a quick bread, like banana bread. It's simply not something I'd use, it doesn't add much flavor and it bogs down the gluten in the spelt.

I'd also go light on the chia seeds, they don't help the functionality of the breadmaking either.

Personally, I am waiting for Modernist Bread to be released next week. And, I'd use the spelt flour all by itself.

Aside from that, I'd look for a bread formula that uses wheat, and oat flour. I's use spelt for the wheat, and the quinoa for the oat flour. Then add a maybe an ounce of the seeds.

If you want to play seriously with alternative flours, it's best to have a small bag of gluten flour on hand as well (you may find it sold as "vital wheat gluten"). A spoonful or two of that will make up for any deficiencies in the structure and crumb of your bread. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning