• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modernist Bread: French Lean Bread (MB Contest Topic #1)

Chris Hennes

14 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I split the lean dough into 2 boules. Proof done at room temp under bowls.

CSO to bread baking at 450 F, 25 minutes. No preheat. First was kind of dark. Second at 425 under foil after 10 min. Might try 425 no foil next.

What was the recipe dough weight, 1 kg?  If so, how did you mix it?  Mixing has been the problem here.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What was the recipe dough weight, 1 kg?  If so, how did you mix it?  Mixing has been the problem here.

yup - around 1 kg - mixed by hand - it had the folds to develop the gluten.

• Like 1

Another batch at home today - again in the CSO - 425 bread mode - a bit of foil for the last 5 min / then flipped over and did 5 min convection to brown the bottom.  Pizza stone not good if not preheated! Need a chunk of metal for the home CSO.

IMG_7608.thumb.JPG.bc263cba997017abde6c54333df2e939.JPG

IMG_7612.thumb.JPG.ce774d7818041a5ef5b14b65a4c9fea7.JPG

IMG_7614.thumb.JPG.4990a2264a0afca764a9a369ffde8c68.JPG

what's left 20 min out of the oven!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Another batch at home today - again in the CSO - 425 bread mode - a bit of foil for the last 5 min / then flipped over and did 5 min convection to brown the bottom.  Pizza stone not good if not preheated! Need a chunk of metal for the home CSO.

IMG_7608.thumb.JPG.bc263cba997017abde6c54333df2e939.JPG

IMG_7612.thumb.JPG.ce774d7818041a5ef5b14b65a4c9fea7.JPG

IMG_7614.thumb.JPG.4990a2264a0afca764a9a369ffde8c68.JPG

what's left 20 min out of the oven!

Have you vermin in your kitchen?

I solved my bottom problem with a preheated aluminum sandwiched Cuisinart baking dish* that just fits the CSO.  I had my fill of soft, white powdered bottoms in my youth.  And I hate the smell of A&D.

*the bottom of a Cuisinart chicken steamer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Time to throw my hat in the bread rings! Since life and bread schedules aren't always compatible, I threw this in the fridge once all of the ingredients were mixed after the autolyse, then I added an extra half hour and four edge fold to the bulk ferment phase. I'm pretty happy with how both loaves came out! (Size difference mostly due to uneven dividing, though I think I got a little more rise out of the second loaf with the longer proof; I did these one at a time in a dutch oven.)

I will note that the bottoms of these (and my country-style loaves) came out a little blacker than I'm used to. I followed the cooking times to a tee, which are a little longer than I'm used to, for better or worse. That said, I like the color I got on the rest of the bread, and the bottoms weren't inedible or anything, so I'm not sure how much I care?

lean_french_crumb.jpg

lean_french_whole.jpg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, thepelkus said:

Time to throw my hat in the bread rings! Since life and bread schedules aren't always compatible, I threw this in the fridge once all of the ingredients were mixed after the autolyse, then I added an extra half hour and four edge fold to the bulk ferment phase. I'm pretty happy with how both loaves came out! (Size difference mostly due to uneven dividing, though I think I got a little more rise out of the second loaf with the longer proof; I did these one at a time in a dutch oven.)

I will note that the bottoms of these (and my country-style loaves) came out a little blacker than I'm used to. I followed the cooking times to a tee, which are a little longer than I'm used to, for better or worse. That said, I like the color I got on the rest of the bread, and the bottoms weren't inedible or anything, so I'm not sure how much I care?

lean_french_crumb.jpg

lean_french_whole.jpg

Interesting some of us have been challenged to get enough browning on our bottoms.  Nice picture.

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Have you vermin in your kitchen?

I solved my bottom problem with a preheated aluminum sandwiched Cuisinart baking dish* that just fits the CSO.  I had my fill of soft, white powdered bottoms in my youth.  And I hate the smell of A&D.

*the bottom of a Cuisinart chicken steamer.

Husband and child - those are vermin I suppose!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3