• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eataly Los Angeles

heidih

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

Long ago I vowed never to set foot in West Los Angeles, Century City, or Culver City ever again. I may just have to eat my words...

http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/mario-batalis-eataly-la-now-open-at-westfield-century-city-8816577

Heidi,

Never having been there, I have to wonder why yo u didn't want to return.

Not food related dislike; think the worst bits about Beverly Hills you've ever seen on reality TV! I also did  a number of projects there that I was proud of but are part of a painful past.....

Culver City is the site of Vespertine - the restaurant gfron reviwed recently. I still have nightmares about working with that architect 26 years later.

• Like 1

As a native of West Los Angeles (Mar Vista-Venice) I hear you loud and clean. My memories of Culver City are that it had a public swimming pool that I could ride the bus to and the place I got my very first job .  We were there a few years back and it boggled my mind to see the transformation.  As an old fogy, not sure I approve of it either.  As for Eataly. to be honest, I would rather head for Grand  Central Market.  Had my chile rellano  there and it was a life changer for sure..  

I appreciate how unique the  Vespertine building is but I still have too many memories of the Helms  Bakery to be impressed.  The field trips to the bakery were so special.  Every kid got a tiny  cardboard Helms truck filled with chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven.  And the gooseberry pies from that place....don't get me started.  

• Like 2