• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prime: The Beef Cookbook by Richard H. Turner

Anna N

I really wanted to like this book which I bought when it was mentioned in the Kindle bargain books topic but I simply cannot get past this:

“500g (1lb 2oz) bone-in steaks such as T-bone or prime rib, cut 3–4mm (about ⅛ inch) thick”

This is from one of the first recipes in the book called Butter-fried Steak with Golden Garlic. 

This steak is cooked for 6 to 8 minutes total over high heat or until medium-rare and then allowed to rest for 10 minutes before being sliced for service. 

This requires a capitulation on my part even greater than Coleridge’s “willing suspension of disbelief”. 

Everything else in the book may be brilliant but how does one overcome this?

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

And here is the link to the full recipe. Does nobody read these? 

Click.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

It looks like there's been some sort of editorial fiasco with the thickness measurements.  The recipe specifies 2 X 500g steaks.  A typical grocery store T-bone would be a match at slightly over 1 lb and those steaks, as well as the steaks in the pic, are clearly not 1/8".  From there, the rest of the recipe seems reasonable (if unremarkable).

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

And here is the link to the full recipe. Does nobody read these? 

Click.

If the picture is supposed to represent the recipe you can clearly see it's not 1/8" thick. Perhaps they meant 1/2" thick.

I wonder if the publisher has an errata/erratum page for this cookbook?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Yeah, that's what I thought, as a US person who doesn't really intuitively get the metric system. I think it's just a mistake and they meant cm instead of mm, and the translation into Imperial went off from there. I have made that mistake myself, so it can happen.

Still it does not bode well for the reliability of this cookbook to be a source of guidance.

> ^ . . ^ <

I had two reasons for posting about this recipe:

a) The obvious measurement error which no one seems to have caught in the many reviews I have read. 

b)  That such errors, however caused, leave me with little further interest in the book no matter its other merits. 

I doubt it will cause anyone actual grief since finding a bone-in steak cut 1/8 of an inch thick would pose almost as big a challenge as actually trying to cook it. xD

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

21 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

This definitely strikes me as a unit conversion issue. This is the sort of thing a cookbook editor is typically supposed to catch!

I don’t think it’s unit conversion here.  1/8 of an inch does translate to 3 to 4 mm so something else is happening here I believe.   It definitely should have been caught in the editorial process. 

My 2004 eG Blog