• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deciding what you need - range/stove

quiet1

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

@gfweb and anyone else with a Blue Star.  I keep reading that the back (on the outside) of the stove gets super hot.  Someone took a reading at it was like 360F.  Is this how yours is?  

I have to have a slide-in type--and it slides in to a built in bar in my kitchen.  I honestly never thought about how hot the back of my stove now gets.....too late to measure to see.

We have a 6-burner Bluestar. The oven door gets a bit warm, but the handle does not. It's a great range. We've only had a couple of minor problems in the 12 years we've had it and all have been easily fixed by a local repair guy. It's a big advantage that there are no electronic parts to fail, so almost any appliance repair person can work on it.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well.  After a lot of research...and soul search lol...I did not get the range of my dreams (blue star), but I did get one delivered today that I like and hopefully it will last a few years.    It's a GE.

The oven even works!  (I'm super easy to please)  I suppose I'm going to have to find another place to store my cast iron skillets.......

I'm excited that it has a steam clean option since I fell in love with that in my CSO.  I'm also excited about the middle burner option.  It comes with a griddle for the middle...I also ordered the grate.

IMG_4514.JPG.06810efe06aabf3eddbb850731866b76.JPG

IMG_4515.JPG.a583b20835978953854b0973e19d8560.JPG

IMG_4516.JPG.91c9001602af0c0217136a380ceeacf7.JPG

Oh and the oven light works.

I think I'm in heaven.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

29 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Well.  After a lot of research...and soul search lol...I did not get the range of my dreams (blue star), but I did get one delivered today that I like and hopefully it will last a few years.    It's a GE.

The oven even works!  (I'm super easy to please)  I suppose I'm going to have to find another place to store my cast iron skillets.......

I'm excited that it has a steam clean option since I fell in love with that in my CSO.  I'm also excited about the middle burner option.  It comes with a griddle for the middle...I also ordered the grate.

I think I'm in heaven.

That's beautiful!   I have a GE Profile and it's not nearly as pretty.

• Like 1

How many oven racks did it come with?  I recommend buying (check the website) extra oven racks. You won't use them every day, but, when you're baking a lot of cookies, or making holiday meals, you'll appreciate having them. My oven came with two, I now have six. I don't have to wait for some cookies to be done before loading more, so I save a lot of time when cooking for events.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

How many oven racks did it come with?  I recommend buying (check the website) extra oven racks. You won't use them every day, but, when you're baking a lot of cookies, or making holiday meals, you'll appreciate having them. My oven came with two, I now have six. I don't have to wait for some cookies to be done before loading more, so I save a lot of time when cooking for events.

Good idea.

It came with three--which kind of surprised me.  I have been baking cookies in the CSO--I won't know what to do with myself with a whole big oven and three racks lol.

IMG_4517.JPG.bd63c8d737976e067b3240d089f69e29.JPG

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Good idea.

It came with three--which kind of surprised me.  I have been baking cookies in the CSO--I won't know what to do with myself with a whole big oven and three racks lol.

IMG_4517.JPG.bd63c8d737976e067b3240d089f69e29.JPG

hehehe, you say that now, wait until Thanksgiving or some other holiday, when you decide to make biscuits at the last minute, or roast the sugar snap peas.... *evil sounding laugh*....

Actually, three is generous, two is what most come with. Congrats! It's a beautiful stove!

• Like 1

Advice I once heard from a source I can no longer remember: test your oven with a can of whomp biscuits, baked on a sheet pan. They've been engineered for consistency, so by looking at how they bake, you'll get an idea of whether the thermostat is calibrated well and if you need to be aware of hot spots. They're cheap enough that you can buy several cans to see how the rack positions vary. And at the end, you have biscuits (of a sort).

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I suspect they're the type you whack the can on the counter edge.

Yes - like the Pillsbury flaky biscuits. I haven't made them in a long time, but it's fun to whomp that spiral-cut tube on the counter to get it to open.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Yes - like the Pillsbury flaky biscuits. I haven't made them in a long time, but it's fun to whomp that spiral-cut tube on the counter to get it to open.

Yep.  Sometimes it’s a blessing that a grocery store is well out of my reach on a moment’s notice.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, lindag said:

I usually buy Pollsbury's frozen biscuits since I can bake only a few at a time.  They’re better than the ones in the tube IMO.

Ah, but when you're testing your oven, you want to do a full batch, at least. Unless, of course, you only ever put things in one tiny corner of your oven. xD

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:53 PM, Shelby said:

I know...I know....   you enabler lol.

Thank you!  I hope it stays working.  

Thermoworks is having a sale...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 5/10/2018 at 5:33 PM, Shelby said:

I think I'm in heaven.

Sweet!

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 12:28 PM, MelissaH said:

Advice I once heard from a source I can no longer remember: test your oven with a can of whomp biscuits, baked on a sheet pan. They've been engineered for consistency, so by looking at how they bake, you'll get an idea of whether the thermostat is calibrated well and if you need to be aware of hot spots. They're cheap enough that you can buy several cans to see how the rack positions vary. And at the end, you have biscuits (of a sort).

Off topic, but this made me think of "fried biscuits," a deer camp standby. One takes the flaky "whomp biscuits" -- the "old-fashioned" style won't work. Pull them apart in horizontal layers so you have two flatter biscuits for each one. Fry them on medium heat in butter until they're puffy and done in the middle. Serve with jam, jelly, syrup or sprinkled with sugar. 

These are heart-stopping and artery-clogging, and wonderful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com