• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Masher for Enameled Cast Iron

docjavadude

Any thoughts about using a potato masher in a ceramic cast iron dutch oven?  I'm still trying to avoid scratches in my newest one and fear that a metal masher will cause me to weep once the luscious potatoes are spooned from the pot.  Has anyone tried a masher with silicone around the wires?  BTW, I do have a ricer for times when I want smooth potatoes, but rustic mashers (especially with the skins mixed in) require an old-school wavy masher, right?  I need to replace my masher, though, as the 50+ year old one has finally given up the ghost with its poor, brittle plastic handle.  Thoughts?  Thanks!

I remember my mother and grandmother always using a prong style Tupperware masher (like this: https://www.fishpond.com.au/Kitchen/Vintage-Tupperware-Potato-Masher-Almond-off-white-Rare/9999131688942) to mash their potatoes - not because they were trying to protect the pot, that's just the only masher they had. It should work perfectly for this situation. 

I noticed that OXO is selling a very similar model if you don't care to hunt down the Tupperware on EBay or the thrift store.

5 hours ago, EMichels said:

I remember my mother and grandmother always using a prong style Tupperware masher...

I've seen those but never used one.  Might be worth a try!  There are several like the old Tupperware in online searches.

As I mentioned in OP, I've seen silicone coated "bent wire" style also, but haven't tried.  My grandmother always used her old steel pot with a sturdy wire masher.  Too bad its plastic handle has now broken!  Her dented-up old steel pot is long gone...  :-)

I have the Oxo good grips potato masher. Works fine.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

10 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Mashers are a problem with ECI.  Better to use a ricer or tamis.

Boilsover, I agree that a ricer or tamis can make wonderful, smooth mashed potatoes (or cauliflower, etc., too).  However, I don't agree that 'all' mashers are a problem with ECI.  That's a bit like saying that all cooking utensils are a problem with ECI.  I choose to not use uncoated metal tools with ECI in order to protect the enamel and avoid scratches.  However, these pots are solid workhorses and not "delicate" (though, as with all tools, ought to be well-cared-for).  As I mentioned in OP, there are times when I want rustic mash or skin-included smashed potatoes -- techniques that can't be accomplished with a ricer.  I've added a few non-scratching mashers that have been sorta "meh" (like these - cool, but the Chef'n doesn't have the strength to mash, and the Oxo gets easily clogged):

https://www.amazon.com/Chefn-FreshForce-Silicone-Arugula-Meringue/dp/B004OXWOUS/

51J1E-1bbrL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Potato-Masher-Non-Stick-Cookware/dp/B00004OCOJ/

31VBCQYT3EL.jpg

So let me state my question clearly:

Does anyone have recommendation or experience with wooden, nylon, silicone-coated metal, or other non-scratching tools to mash potatoes in an enameled cast iron pot?

15 hours ago, docjavadude said:

Boilsover, I agree that a ricer or tamis can make wonderful, smooth mashed potatoes (or cauliflower, etc., too).  However, I don't agree that 'all' mashers are a problem with ECI.  That's a bit like saying that all cooking utensils are a problem with ECI.  I choose to not use uncoated metal tools with ECI in order to protect the enamel and avoid scratches.  However, these pots are solid workhorses and not "delicate" (though, as with all tools, ought to be well-cared-for).  As I mentioned in OP, there are times when I want rustic mash or skin-included smashed potatoes -- techniques that can't be accomplished with a ricer.  I've added a few non-scratching mashers that have been sorta "meh" (like these - cool, but the Chef'n doesn't have the strength to mash, and the Oxo gets easily clogged):

https://www.amazon.com/Chefn-FreshForce-Silicone-Arugula-Meringue/dp/B004OXWOUS/

51J1E-1bbrL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Potato-Masher-Non-Stick-Cookware/dp/B00004OCOJ/

31VBCQYT3EL.jpg

So let me state my question clearly:

Does anyone have recommendation or experience with wooden, nylon, silicone-coated metal, or other non-scratching tools to mash potatoes in an enameled cast iron pot?

I have and use the OXO good grips in my enameled pots, skillets, etc., with no problems whatsoever.

I have used it to mash potatoes, fruits of all kinds, celeriac, rutabaga and parsnips.  

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

20 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

I have and use the OXO good grips in my enameled pots, skillets, etc., with no problems whatsoever.

I have used it to mash potatoes, fruits of all kinds, celeriac, rutabaga and parsnips.  

So you're a fan of the Oxo?  I like most of their tools, and I like how sturdy the plastic is on this masher, I just get lots of product stuck in the "tines."  Probably operator error.  :-)

3 hours ago, docjavadude said:

So you're a fan of the Oxo?  I like most of their tools, and I like how sturdy the plastic is on this masher, I just get lots of product stuck in the "tines."  Probably operator error.  :-)

Never had a problem with it doing that and banging it on the side of the pan dislodges anything.

• Like 1

Ironically, the "Cook's Country" episode this weekend was for "cochinita pibil" which they called citrus-braised pork tacos. They used what looked to be a regular masher (click) to mash the cooked cubes of pork to shred it. 

You can see the video here:

https://www.cookscountry.com/videos/3645-citrus-braised-pork-tacos

They mash the pork at 6:51 on the timeline.

It looked like they were using a Le Cruset dutch oven.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

17 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Ironically, the "Cook's Country" episode this weekend was for "cochinita pibil" which they called citrus-braised pork tacos. They used what looked to be a regular masher (click) to mash the cooked cubes of pork to shred it. 

It looked like they were using a Le Cruset dutch oven.

Well isn't that interesting!  I have a few Dutch ovens.  I may have to try mashing with a stainless steel masher in one of the older pots to see if a) it causes any scratching, and b) if the scratching is only "skin deep" (i.e. will come off with a bit of scrubbing).  Sometimes I wonder if I'm treating the $350 pot too gently...