• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

21 minutes ago, Bentley said:

I would imagine its possible to make a workable cheesecake ganache from Susanna's recipe without using the fromage blanc and mascarpone.  Most cheesecakes are made with just cream cheese after all. If you do like the taste and texture, it shoudl be possible to balance a recipe for a good shelf life. Water is water no matter what the source, and as long as you are binding the free water, it shouldn't matter if it is from cream, creme fraiche, fromage blanc or anything else.  The problem is that accurately measuring Aw is an expensive proposition.  The meters are quite spendy for a home chef. 

Also, Norman Love Confections just retired their strawberry cheesecake bonbon (along with 7 other flavors).  Maybe Norman will be willing to share some info about his recipe.  Next time I see him, I will ask.  

Jessica - your graham cracker crust looks denser than a regular crust.  Does it have chocolate in it?

It’s a praliné layer. So yes, it does :)  

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

21 minutes ago, Bentley said:

I would imagine its possible to make a workable cheesecake ganache from Susanna's recipe without using the fromage blanc and mascarpone.  Most cheesecakes are made with just cream cheese after all. If you do like the taste and texture, it shoudl be possible to balance a recipe for a good shelf life. Water is water no matter what the source, and as long as you are binding the free water, it shouldn't matter if it is from cream, creme fraiche, fromage blanc or anything else.  The problem is that accurately measuring Aw is an expensive proposition.  The meters are quite spendy for a home chef. 

Also, Norman Love Confections just retired their strawberry cheesecake bonbon (along with 7 other flavors).  Maybe Norman will be willing to share some info about his recipe.  Next time I see him, I will ask.  

Jessica - your graham cracker crust looks denser than a regular crust.  Does it have chocolate in it?

It’s a praliné layer.