• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Commercial Kitchen Equipment

btbyrd

10 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Single woman's pizza "oven" might be satisfied with THIS.  KALORIK HOT STONE PIZZA OVEN.  It's not exactly an oven per se. but it certainly gets hot.

My friends, Erik and Charles  got one of these for Christmas last year from a doting aunt.  

They thought it was a gimmick but found it worked fairly well.  One of their dogs managed to pull it off the counter (it was cold and unplugged) and broke the stone.

Rather than replace it, they upgraded to the Breville, which they use frequently for parties - setting out the "fixings" and prepared pizza dough rounds and letting their guests "customize" their pizzas.  

They have urged me to get one but sadly, I can no longer consume pizza. The heartburn that follows is excruciating

I had never seen these.  The 668 deg F. is truly impressive.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I had the 10 quart Hobart but it was too tall for a regular kitchen counter.  I had it bolted to a heavy wood "dolly" or cart that was about 18" high and had 4" locking wheels.  Under the platform to which the mixer was bolted, there was room for the beaters and a couple of extra bowls.  It was very heavy.  

After doing a little shopping, I found that not only are they beyond my budget, but almost 200 lb!  (I knew they were heavy and expensive, but not to that degree)  Maybe I'll settle for an 8qt KA if/when my existing KA needs replacement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

After doing a little shopping, I found that not only are they beyond my budget, but almost 200 lb!  (I knew they were heavy and expensive, but not to that degree)  Maybe I'll settle for an 8qt KA if/when my existing KA needs replacement.

I still have the DLX 2000, also known as the Electrolux, AEG, Ankasarum,  mixer, which has more capacity - I think it is 10 quarts. It works on a different principle than the "orbital" mixers but it does a bang-up job on breads and I have mixed large batches of cake batter, cookie dough, etc. 

I got it after I burned out the motors on TWO 5-quart KAs  (not the ones made by Hobart)  making Peter Reinhart's  Struan bread which is heavy, dense, stiff dough.

It handled the stiff dough just fine and I love it.  It has a timer so I can turn it on, set the timer and leave it to do the work.  There are a lot of YouTube videos of the mixer working.  A couple of eG members bought the machine after I recommended it, years ago and at least two have posted that they are still happy with it.  

Pleasant Hill Grain has the best deal for it as they include things that other vendors don't.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

3 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I still have the DLX 2000, also known as the Electrolux, AEG, Ankasarum,  mixer, which has more capacity - I think it is 10 quarts. It works on a different principle than the "orbital" mixers but it does a bang-up job on breads and I have mixed large batches of cake batter, cookie dough, etc. 

I got it after I burned out the motors on TWO 5-quart KAs  (not the ones made by Hobart)  making Peter Reinhart's  Struan bread which is heavy, dense, stiff dough.

It handled the stiff dough just fine and I love it.  It has a timer so I can turn it on, set the timer and leave it to do the work.  There are a lot of YouTube videos of the mixer working.  A couple of eG members bought the machine after I recommended it, years ago and at least two have posted that they are still happy with it.  

Pleasant Hill Grain has the best deal for it as they include things that other vendors don't.

I lost all desire for a heavy, commercial mixer when I acquired one of these mixers on Andie's recommendation six years ago.  It works more on the principle of a spiral mixer and easily mixes dough for four large loaves while my 5-qt KA "Commercial" struggled with two loaves. 

Edited by Cyberider (log)
  • Like 7