• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dissertation Help - Cooking Website Features

home-cook

A couple of months ago, I sought your knowledge to hear about what you like / dislike from a cooking website.  This has led me to the creation of a questionnaire so that I can quantify this information with the objective of understanding what the most important features are for a cooking website and any logical groupings.  

It would mean a great deal to me if I can get as many of you as possible to complete it - Once I've analysed the results, I intend to share the output with this forum and there's also the option to add an email address within the questionnaire if you'd like to receive this via email (no spam - I promise).

I've sought permission from the message board admins to post this and really appreciate your help and support!

>> Click here to start the questionnaire

Please help me with my dissertation by completing this questionnaire (shared with admin permission)

>> Click here to start questionnaire

47 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I just completed this.  It only took a few minutes.

Thank you.  I'm so worried about not getting enough responses to get meaningful insight so I really appreciate those few minutes :)

• Like 1

Please help me with my dissertation by completing this questionnaire (shared with admin permission)

Are you working on getting permission from other boards, too?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Are you working on getting permission from other boards, too?

Just one other - I've only shared it with the ones that I've enjoyed the contribution of the members (even though I don't post much).  I contacted a 3rd message board which had a very different (unhelpful) culture so I left that one alone.  i.e. I'm seeking help from the boards that I intend to continue a relationship with :)

5 hours ago, home-cook said:

I forgot to say - it might look long but it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.  I've timed it with a few people :)

Took it. Also, hello Reading person! I went to Reading a while back when they still had a Cybernetics department. Intelligent Systems degree. :) I do miss it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, home-cook said:

Thank you.  I'm so worried about not getting enough responses to get meaningful insight so I really appreciate those few minutes :)

Just use my survey. It has the right answers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Good luck, h-d. Ms. Alex earned an MBA about ten years ago and now is desperately trying to complete her Ph.D., plus I still remember grad school (way too many years ago), so I know how much of a slog it can be.

• Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Done, but I'm not sure my answers will be helpful.  I never have a membership with any cooking sites (Egullet excepted!).  I use the net to find recipe ideas for ingredients that I found at the market or have on hand (e.g., I would google "chicken, mushrooms recipe," or "lamb leg recipe"), or occasionally to find recipes for something I want to make (e.g., I would google "chicken confit").  I do like to see what the finished recipe looks like and to see the ingredients and method quickly, and the rest I don't care about much. I definitely don't have time (or patience) for videos. Often I combine ideas from different sites or substitute ingredients or change the method slightly. (This drives my sister crazy.)  Anyway, if you get enough people responding, I'm sure it will all come out in the wash.  Good luck with the dissertation!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, quiet1 said:

Took it. Also, hello Reading person! I went to Reading a while back when they still had a Cybernetics department. Intelligent Systems degree. :) I do miss it.

Reading was excellent for robotics / cybernetics, I've got no idea if they're still teaching it - I know somebody who did that course in the late 90's.  

I don't miss Reading :D I live down by the seaside now!

Thanks everybody for completing the survey so far - I'm looking forward to analysing the results and am getting a sample size that I'm happy with so will hopefully find something meaningful.