• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Experimenting with my Bread Machine

home-cook

19 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Well, my experiment was in general positive with a couple of caveats. First, I baked it at too high a temperature for too long, which resulted in a very dark thick crust. Second, I should have made the apricot pieces larger because the 1/4" bits got lost in the dough. On the whole, however, it turned out to be very tasty. I used 1-3/4 c. bread flour, 1/2 c. whole wheat, and 1/2 c. light rye. I also used chopped walnuts in place of the pumpkin seeds. The recipe I was working from had an egg and 3 Tbs. of honey, and the rest was a usual bread recipe. Next time I think I'll make the apricot pieces larger, and maybe use pumpkin seeds instead of walnuts.

Having just watched a video on King Arthur, I tried to make the kind of slits they demonstrated, but of course I don't have the proper tool. As a result one end of the loaf sort of blew out.

It always amuses me when a cook says, "I loved the recipe, but I decided to use X instead of Y, and I'm allergic to Z and my husband doesn't like K and my daughter won't eat B, so I left them out/substituted for them. But I loved the recipe." Seems to me I'm guilty of that myself.

Nancy, I probably should have said not to cut the apricots too small. Or too large. Probably does take some experimenting. Thanks for trying and sharing!

Deb

Liberty, MO