• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Experimenting with my Bread Machine

home-cook

@TdeV  I have the same bread machine as you.  I put the ingredients for bread in the pan last night and set the timer for this morning.  As you can see  the loaf is uneven which has happened before.  But, this is the first time i have had these "wrinkles" on the top.  Underneath the wrinkles are hollow spots.  I wrote to KAF and they responded with the note I posted in an earlier post on this thread.  I made sure my paddles were in the correct position so I don't know why this happened.  Not much help, I know.  

20200915_122855.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 1

@ElsieD, thanks. Did you forget to post a picture?

FWIW, my paddles are frozen in position, with the left paddle ~2mm higher than the right. I have never been able to move them.

It occurred to me after posting, that the dimples are maybe from too much yeast?

13 minutes ago, TdeV said:

FWIW, my paddles are frozen in position, with the left paddle ~2mm higher than the right. I have never been able to move them.

It occurred to me after posting, that the dimples are maybe from too much yeast?

I did forget and I have added it.  Did you contact the Zo people about your frozen paddles?  Did you soak your pot for a while and then try to remove the paddles?  As far as tge yeast goes, I used 1 1/2 tsp. which is what the recipe called for.

@ElsieD, I forgot to mention that my paddles are frozen such that both of the blades in the machine face the same direction. About the frozen paddles, I did contact KAF, and their advice produced the ~2mm difference in height. Don't remember if I talked with Zo, but I will make a point of it.

The thing is that my normal loaf does not have these two issues (lump on left and dimple on top) but my modified recipe does. The paddles have been wonky since shortly after I got the machine (2012), so they aren't directly responsible for this issue.

N.B. There is 1.75 teaspoons of yeast in this loaf (normally 1.5 tsp).

9 hours ago, TdeV said:

All this talk about "moving paddles" reminds me of a question.  I can certainly swing the paddle back and forth, but I cannot pull them higher or push them lower on the post and can not remove them at all.  I've used three different bread machines over the years - my dad's and two of mine and I've never, ever been able to remove them once they have been put on before the first bake.  Are people really able to remove the paddles?

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

All this talk about "moving paddles" reminds me of a question.  I can certainly swing the paddle back and forth, but I cannot pull them higher or push them lower on the post and can not remove them at all.  I've used three different bread machines over the years - my dad's and two of mine and I've never, ever been able to remove them once they have been put on before the first bake.  Are people really able to remove the paddles?

I can easily take mine out.  The only time I struggle with the paddles is after I have taken a freshly baked loaf out of the pan.  After letting the pan cool, that is.  Now I just soak the pan for a bit and the paddles come right out.

@Kim Shook

on my simplest generic machine the single paddle came out.

over time , bits of bread got stuck on that area and it was difficult to reach in there and clean

the water soak worked.  from then on I put a drop go oil on the inner paddle area that sat open the post.

the bread came out easily , w the paddle in the bread.

Id look in your manual or call the machines 800 number is they have on , and ask them

about this.

• Thanks 1

Even my oldest bread machine has easily moved paddles and I believe that it is because I ALWAYS REMOVE THE PADDLES AFTER THE FINAL "KNEAD" before the machine begins the final rise and bake process.

Since the paddles have never been exposed to the heat of baking, they remain as they were when new.  

I know one has to time the cycles but it is simple to set a timer, once the timing of the cycles is determined.

And the bottoms of the loaves only have a small hole where the shaft is located, which makes it much easier to slice, no wasted bread.  

1565146425_ScreenShot2020-09-16at10_10.20AMcopy.jpg.47937845a050b6bb955e55a875d490fa.jpg

Also, when I replace the dough in the pan, after removing the paddles, I make sure the dough is even and my loaves turn out level most of the time.

795009092_ScreenShot2020-09-16at10_06.17AMcopy.jpg.2ac7dc9729d5d0bda2d00563a551351d.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

20 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Even my oldest bread machine has easily moved paddles and I believe that it is because I ALWAYS REMOVE THE PADDLES AFTER THE FINAL "KNEAD" before the machine begins the final rise and bake process.

Since the paddles have never been exposed to the heat of baking, they remain as they were when new.  

I know one has to time the cycles but it is simple to set a timer, once the timing of the cycles is determined.

And the bottoms of the loaves only have a small hole where the shaft is located, which makes it much easier to slice, no wasted bread.  

Also, when I replace the dough in the pan, after removing the paddles, I make sure the dough is even and my loaves turn out level most of the time.

I do the same. 

• Thanks 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

• 4 months later...
12 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Any more hints about how I can remove the paddle of my bread machine?  I made a loaf today and soaked the pan for an hour or so and neither Mr. Kim or I could pull it out.  Ta!

My experience also. I once called Zojirushi whose advice resulted in the net result that one side of the paddles are more extruded than the other. (Still stuck--in a worse position). Big holes in the bottom of the loaf.

Regardless, the loaf still tastes good!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

This time I made the most basic white loaf in the instruction book (and doubled the salt - thanks, @ElsieD😞

IMG_5113.jpg.372e9a1de92b85dc4eadc537088adfda.jpg

I really hate that slope and wish I could figure out what to do to stop it.  But I was happy with the crust and crumb:

IMG_5127.jpg.cb10b8188603c2a31ac28a4cabe7aed8.jpg

What is the shape of the dough before the machine starts to bake it?

Just now, ElsieD said:

I pulled this loaf out of the oven a half hour or so ago.  I used the KAF recipe for pain de mie, made the dough in the Zo machine and baked it in the 13" pain de mie pan without the lid.  For a change, the loaf was perfectly even.  While it was cooling, my neighbour came home having been away for 2 months in B.C.  She arrived with a broken foot and on crutches.  I lopped off a chunk of the bread for her and John is out picking up a few things at the food store.  At the very least she can have a sandwich.   

20210222_162600.jpg

• Like 8

On 2/22/2021 at 5:40 PM, Kim Shook said:

I'm not sure.  I've never peeked at that point.  I know that a lot of my kitchen is not level and I need to check that, but that seems a little extreme!  🙂

If you can catch it before the final rise, you should be able to take it out, shape it, replace it and let the machine carry on.  I have found that helps a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ElsieD said:

If you can catch it before the final rise, you should be able to take it out, shape it, replace it and let the machine carry on.  I have found that helps a bit.

I always stop mine, take out the dough, remove the paddle and put the dough back in for baking. Much easier than digging out the paddle and leaving a big hole after it is baked.

• Like 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

7 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

I always stop mine, take out the dough, remove the paddle and put the dough back in for baking. Much easier than digging out the paddle and leaving a big hole after it is baked.

I've owned three machines and neither Mr. Kim nor I have ever been able to remove the paddles once they are put on.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The white bread is becoming our regular weekly white bread for daily use.  A recent loaf:

IMG_5175.jpg.c28c2448031d465167776f6f348eb4ab.jpg

Still oddly uneven.  I tested the machine before starting it and it was level.  I wasn’t able to redistribute the dough before it began baking because we were out of the house while it went through its paces. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...