• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

Added second picture

I made, or rather, the Zo made It's first attempt at a 6 grain bread.  This is the result.  Obviously, I made a mistake or perhaps several.  One end of the loaf is perfectly baked.  The other end looks as though it was not mixed properly and indeed, when you cut into it, it is very floury/crumbly.  I used the quick setting, medium crust.  The crust turned out not medium - I would call it very light.  When I put the ingredients into the pan, I followed the order stated.  That is, water on the bottom, then dry ingredients and then I made a little depression to put the yeast into so it would not be in contact with the salt or water.  I admit that must of tge ingredients were piled up at one end.  I thought ygd kneading would spread yhings put.I used 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast.  I am going to try another loaf today to see what happens.  We need to go out for a while shortly and i will pick up some regular active dry yeast and use that with the regular cycle.  Hubs just came in and said he didnt think i had the paddles in correctly as one is still stuck in the loaf.  So that is a possibility.  I must say that the part of the loaf that actually looks like bread looks very good.  I'm about to try some.

20171105_113943.jpg

20171105_113919.jpg

ElsieD

ElsieD

I made, or rather, the Zo made It's first attempt at a 6 grain bread.  This is the result.  Obviously, I made a mistake or perhaps several.  One end of the loaf is perfectly baked.  The other end looks as though it was not mixed properly and indeed, when you cut into it, it is very floury/crumbly.  I used the quick setting, medium crust.  The crust turned out not medium - I would call it very light.  When I put the ingredients into the pan, I followed the order stated.  That is, water on the bottom, then dry ingredients and then I made a little depression to put the yeast into so it would not be in contact with the salt or water.  I admit that must of tge ingredients were piled up at one end.  I thought ygd kneading would spread yhings put.I used 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast.  I am going to try another loaf today to see what happens.  We need to go out for a while shortly and i will pick up some regular active dry yeast and use that with the regular cycle.  Hubs just came in and said he didnt think i had the paddles in correctly as one is still stuck in the loaf.  So that is a possibility.  I must say that the part of the loaf that actually looks like bread looks very good.  I'm about to try some.

20171105_113943.jpg