• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide Cooler Hacks

boilsover

OK, someone in an earlier thread asked me to post photos of this effort to make insulated, evap-resistant bathtubs for my new Anova ciculator.

I decided to make two.  The first was to just use my medium-sized Coleman PolyLite 40Q cooler.   This is my Go-To grocery cooler, so I didn't want to sacrifice it just for SV, so I cut a plexiglass scrap into a cover that sits down inside on the cooler's interior rim, and then hole-sawed the corner of the clear plexi to accept the Anova.  Someone specc'd the hole at 2.5" diameter, but I found that's a bit too large.  2-3/8" or 2-7/16" diameter would probably have been better.  I solved the issue by adding a toilet flush gasket that seals the hole and stabilizes the Anova.

The second was a smaller 9Q Igloo picnic cooler I never used, is only $15 new , and therefore didn't mind sacrificing.  This I hole-sawed directly through the cooler's removable lid.  Because the lid was hollow, I sealed the thing up with squirt foam and silicone caulk.  The gasket seals this one, too, just moving from one cooler to the other with the Anova.

So far, after a few uses, I can say that the setups hold heat extremely well, and don't lose much water by evaporation.  The 40Q only dropped a few degrees after being banished to the back porch overnight in 40F weather.  It would not have taken much time or juice to get it back on-temp.

I'll break out the Kill-A-Watt later, and compare energy use.

Cost was $6 for the IKEA rack, and $3.49 for the gasket.  I had everything else.  

eG Large Cooler Setup 2.jpg

eG Large Cooler Setup.jpg

Small Cooler Setup.jpg

Small Cooler Hole 1.jpg

Small Cooler Hole 2.jpg

Small Cooler Open.jpg

Plexi.jpg

Edited by boilsover (log)
  • Like 8