• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide - What Instructions Did I Miss?

Porthos

I thought that I had read that if you SV in bulk, and the freeze, that you were supposed to SV the item again based using the same time in the bath as when you first cooked the item. I tried SVing 4 meals's worth of pork strips and froze 3 of the 4. When I re-SV'ed a package last night (at a slightly lower temp to not increase the doneness, they were borderline dry, way different than the first package right out of the bath.  What am I missing?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

If you re-SV at the same time and temp why do the first SV at all?

I'd say the rule would be to warm it in the SV to no higher than the original temp. But not for any longer than needed to bring it up to temp for eating.

If it was frozen there is no need to re-pasteurize

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

If you re-SV at the same time and temp why do the first SV at all?

I'd say the rule would be to warm it in the SV to no higher than the original temp. But not for any longer than needed to bring it up to temp for eating.

If it was frozen there is no need to re-pasteurize

Yes, that's true.

so, say, if someone does a 48hr cook, it only takes an hour or two (depending on thickness) to retherm after chilling... NOT another 48hrs.

but, as most typical SV cooks are more in that 2 hour range to begin with, that's the source of the common meme that one needs to retherm for about as long as the original cooking time.

• Like 1