• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FDA Warning About Eating Too Much Black Licorice

Toliver

Who knew?

"Don't accidentally overdose on black licorice this Halloween, the FDA warns"

...Too much of the old-fashioned favorite can cause health problems such as irregular heart rhythm, especially in people over 40.
Black licorice contains a sweetening compound called glycyrrhizin, which can cause a drop in potassium levels. With low levels, some people might experience high blood pressure, swelling and even congestive heart failure, the FDA says.

I rarely eat it, but for me, a little black licorice goes along way. I do have a family friend who enjoys eating it and will have to share this warning with him.

Anyone else a fan of the candy?

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I adore...love...crave...black licorice.  My grandmother and I used to pull the black jelly beans to eat ourselves.  

Unfortunately in my 20s I found out that it does cause heart problems for me and I have had to cut it out since then.>:(

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'm very fond of the stuff but don't have it that often.  The CNN article doesn't specify what 'too much' means but the original FDA one says:

If you’re 40 or older, eating 2 ounces of black licorice a day for at least two weeks could land you in the hospital with an irregular heart rhythm or arrhythmia.

I just measured out two ounces/50 grams to see what it looked like.  It's quite a lot to consume daily for two weeks or more.  I think I'm safe! 

• Like 4

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory