• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substitute for artichoke hearts

oofencocotte

Hi there,

I'm making a chickpea tagine with this recipe

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/chickpea-and-artichoke-tagine/15890/?utm_term=.3b0cc4e9ef14

but I can't find artichoke hearts. Does anyone know what else I could use? Google has come up with sundried tomatoes or asparagus but not sure about either of those

Any help much appreciated.

Artichoke kidneys?

But seriously, folks, I'm wondering where you're located. If your grocery store doesn't carry frozen hearts, surely it has jarred ones -- perhaps marinated, but it should still work for the recipe. I've also seen canned ones, but can't attest to their quality.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I live in a small town in a country where spring onions are only available in spring! Somehow I like that all the veg are seasonal.

I'm pretty sure I've seen artichokes in the supermarket but there aren't any at the moment. Not canned or frozen either- I guess they don't really eat them here. I could head into the city and try but even then it might not happen. 

Substituting for an ingredient that's part of the name of the dish can be problematic.  In this case, I might try zucchini/summer squash or eggplant.  The eggplant would certainly require pre-cooking and the zucchini might also benefit from a quick sauté to get a bit of browning on it and prevent if from adding too much water to the finish dish.

1 hour ago, happytown said:

I couldn't find any palm hearts or bamboo shoots either. .Not much selection here. In the end i went with roast eggplant!

How did it come out? Would you do it again with the eggplant, or wait for the artichoke hearts, or not at all?  Got photos?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Couldn't show you photos without some medical scan of my stomach I'm afraid :)

It was excellent. The crispiness of the roasted eggplant was important to the texture. Very deep flavours of Morocco. The lemon in there I think created something very new that I wasn't used to. 

To be honest I don't think I've ever had artichoke hearts and don't even know what they look like, so I don't know how they would compare. But eggplant worked!

I fried some raw rice with garlic and ginger paste and then boiled it in vegetable stock for 15 minutes and that was a great accompaniment. 

Edited by happytown (log)
  • Like 3