• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Bake-Off XX: Holiday Quick Breads

David Ross

2 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Three weeks ago today I suffered a terrible fall at home, shattering the bone in my upper right arm.  (Yep, I'm right-handed).  That led to surgery, a plate and 14 screws, and 12 days in the hospital.

Oh no! Sorry to hear that, and really hope you are healing OK! I'm surprised you are cooking and photographing at all right now, but kudos to you for that. 

I love your quick bread experiments! 

• Like 2

Nothing but admiration for you.  Heal quickly. Huckleberry buckle looks very, very delicious. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5a2854379f0a3_Bread39.thumb.jpg.4ef53f09c7db29bca92dbdf4429c4104.jpg

Made this Banana Pecan Bread last weekend.  Kind of hodge-podged a couple recipes together. I ended up using toasted sugar and a good bit of pure maple syrup to sweeten it and ended up making some butter and adding in the leftover buttermilk to the recipe in addition to balance it out.

Came out super good.  Not too sweet to eat for breakfast.

• Like 6

• 10 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 12:48 PM, David Ross said:

Blueberry Buckle, Banana Bread, Banana Coffee Bread, Boston Brown Bread and Prune Nut Bread.  Cornbread, Corn Fritters and Corn Spoon Bread.  Ginger Muffins, Hawaiian Muffins and Swedish Timbale Cases.  All these recipes come from my cherished 1968 edition of the Better Homes and Gardens "New Cook Book."  But the popularity of "quick breads" hasn’t faded over the decades. 

By definition, quick breads are basically breads that are leavened with baking soda or baking powder rather than yeast.   And "quick" breads eliminate the need for waiting hours for the yeast in traditional doughs to rise.  The Holidays are the perfect time for quick breads.  Quick breads are economical and all the well-known ingredients of the holiday kitchen work quite well in quick breads: dates, raisins, pumpkin, cranberries, candied fruits, nuts, citrus fruits, eggnog and a boozy nog too.  

The Holidays are fast approaching, so join in the celebration as we launch our newest Bake-Off, eG Bake-Off XX: Holiday Quick Breads. 

See our complete Bake-Off Index here:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155586-bake-off-index/

It's that time of year.  What "quick breads" will you be making this Holiday Season?

• Like 1

I only do baklava, Linzter Torte, chocolate chip cookies and pumpkin bread for holiday give-away. As mentioned up topic  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155739-eg-bake-off-xx-holiday-quick-breads/?do=findComment&comment=2126135   I've thought about using kabocha or another squash rathre than canned - not sure..It keeps well, freezes well, and perfect with a cup of coffee. Smells fab as well. 

• Like 3

I will be making one of my favorite quick breads, a recipe from eG's own Arey, "Mother's Applesauce Cake (Poor Man's Fruitcake)".  So good with Cheddar cheese, Canadian Cheddar in this case.

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 2:58 PM, Darienne said:

I will be making one of my favorite quick breads, a recipe from eG's own Arey, "Mother's Applesauce Cake (Poor Man's Fruitcake)".  So good with Cheddar cheese, Canadian Cheddar in this case.

That doesn't seem to be in RecipeGullet. Do you have a link?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I have taken to baking muffins every Sunday morning. My basic muffin recipe is this one or a bran muffin, this one, which is the one I think they used to print on the back of the AllBran box. I've experimented with all kinds of add-ins and flavors for these. The vanilla ones morph well into lemon poppyseed, pumpkin, banana, and my personal current favorite, cinnamon apple. The bran ones get all sorts of fruit -- dates, figs, cranberries, or whatever I can find dried in the pantry, and assorted nuts.

My Sunday school class at church has gotten used to the Sunday morning muffins! I think tomorrow's will be apple cinnamon or caramel apple, as I have some apples to get rid of. Although I really have a taste for date walnut bran muffins.... 

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 6 months later...
On 10/29/2017 at 7:51 PM, cakewalk said:

I'll send the recipe to you. Copyright issues.

Hi Cakewalk,

Will you please share your DELICIOUS recipe with me too please? 

Thank You so much

• 5 months later...

Let's add some new recipes to our Holiday Quick Breads Bake-Off.  I'm thinking of doing a holiday quick bread version of a cookie I did last year with candied ginger and candied cranberries.

• Like 2

@Anna N a few years ago posted a recipe for a beer cheese quick bread that was just about the best thing I ever ate. (I will note adding ground ham or crumbled bacon to it kicks it up another notch, too.)

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

The very same! I found where she'd sent me the link in a email. I was not remembering the sage, but she said she didn't use it, so I don't expect I did.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

• 7 months later...

Nice job, Chris. I admire your video-making skills as well as apparent ease in front of the camera. (I was once told that I turned into a drill sergeant when the camera was rolling. :D) Your explanations are clear, and there are amusing touches.

The recipe looks good, too. 

Have you gotten much local reaction from your customer base?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

19 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Well, we're a long way from the holidays, but since cooking has become part of my day job now, I thought I'd share my latest creation. This is the Fresh Fruit and Nut Quickbread from Bittman's How to Bake Everything:

Brilliant.  The bread and the presentation.  I should think this is how we'll see many presentations in the coming days.

20 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Well, we're a long way from the holidays, but since cooking has become part of my day job now, I thought I'd share my latest creation. This is the Fresh Fruit and Nut Quickbread from Bittman's How to Bake Everything:

Wonderful Chris.  Really, really well done. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.