• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese graters

lindag

When I last attempted a recipe for mac & cheese I was disappointed that said recipe called for 4 cups of grated cheddar.

I really hate grating that much cheese because I don't like having to wash up my big 14-cup food processor  and I  hate grating on a box grater even more, it's hard on my hands and it takes a bit of effort.

Isn't there a (somewhat) easier way?  I've looked at the Moilinex-type rotary graters; are they good for larger amounts of cheese?  Or maybe something like this?  

Comments, please.

I have a very old Mouli julienne that does a quick job with grating cheese and cleans up easily.  Sadly, I have not seen them sold in the US for years but this one looks extremely similar except for having only 4 discs vs the 5 discs I have with my Mouli.  Looks like it might not have the super fine disc that I use to grate Parm or other hard cheeses into fine snowdrifts but the regular grating discs are all there.  If my Mouli falls apart, I'd give this one a try for sure.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, lindag said:

When I last attempted a recipe for mac & cheese I was disappointed that said recipe called for 4 cups of grated cheddar.

I really hate grating that much cheese because I don't like having to wash up my big 14-cup food processor  and I  hate grating on a box grater even more, it's hard on my hands and it takes a bit of effort.

Isn't there a (somewhat) easier way?  I've looked at the Moilinex-type rotary graters; are they good for larger amounts of cheese?  Or maybe something like this?  

Comments, please.

You might like one of these graters with West Blade technology.  https://www.gourmetinsider.com/lifetime-debuts-west-blade-graters-and-zesters-at-williams-sonoma/

I fooled with these at the 2017 IHHS show.  Lifetime Brands' head of development showed them to me.  I was prepared to be underwhelmed, but this blade design is truly wonderful.  The cutting edges are recessed, they cut in both directions, and are easy to clean.  Good ergonomics, too.

The West Blade citrus zester is semi-miraculous, insofar as you get all zest and no pith.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who uses a food processor to "grate" - actually shred - large amounts of semi-hard cheeses.

Every food processor I have owned, since I got my first one decades ago, has had a shredding disc and it works fine for cheddar, fontina, swiss, jack, colby, &etc.

Just cut the cheese into a long piece that will fit in the tube, chill it in the freezer for at least half an hour to an hour if it is not real hard  turn the motor on and gently push on the column of cheese.  

I use the larger for these semi-hard cheeses and I use the smaller for hard cheese.  

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

13 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

Am I the only one who uses a food processor to "grate" - actually shred - large amounts of semi-hard cheeses.

Every food processor I have owned, since I got my first one decades ago, has had a shredding disc and it works fine for cheddar, fontina, swiss, jack, colby, &etc.

Just cut the cheese into a long piece that will fit in the tube, chill it in the freezer for at least half an hour to an hour if it is not real hard  turn the motor on and gently push on the column of cheese.  

I use the larger for these semi-hard cheeses and I use the smaller for hard cheese.  

Well, count me among the people who hate cleaning the FP.  So much so, I'd rather take 4x the time doing it by hand.  Not completely rational, I know...

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

If it wasn’t for my food processor I would not be grating cheese at all except  enough to shower pasta for one!

Edited by Anna N
Clarity (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here I use a box grater.  I was never thrilled with cheese from the food processor, particularly after the shaft of my Cuisinart grating attachment snapped.  While it was running.

I could be talked into a new grating technology if it were wonderful and not too expensive.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Jo, 

I'm leaning toward the salad shooter since it's electric and easier on my hands.

My Cuisinart does a good job but I hate cleaning the parts and it takes up half my d/ w.w

I just stick the food processor innards and jug in the dishwasher and run "quick wash" without detergent, just some vinegar in the liquid holder.

Then let it air dry.

• Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

There is this which has popped up on several "gifts for the homemaker"  emails I have received.

59f62c151e053_ScreenShot2017-10-29at12_27_59PM.thumb.png.669c8355d3b8b44e15d68d4574f588f1.png

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Jo, 

I'm leaning toward the salad shooter since it's electric and easier on my hands.

My Cuisinart does a good job but I hate cleaning the parts and it takes up half my d/ w.w

Doesn't look like the salad shooter has any attachment for grating parmesan or other hard cheeses?  I followed a few amazon links and looked at the KitchenAid KSM2FPA.  Same issue.  However the KSM2FPA looks nice for other things.

It grates (sorry) that I have at least ten Cuisinart discs and no way to use them.

I gave up on the box grater years ago. I use graters on handles, many are microplanes, but for cheese, I use two specialty graters: for hard cheese like Parmesan I use a skinny one with tiny stars (it makes a fine powder, great for sauces) , and for medium cheeses like cheddar and block mozzarella I use a wide one with holes that allow grating in both directions and a handle setup with a loop on the other end which allows it to be placed on top of a bowl and used horizontally. My larger one is Calphalon brand, gotten at Tuesday Morning, I do not think it's made any more. Anyway, the bi-directionality really is useful.

• Thanks 1

Jo,

I posted  the question about grating parmesan and other hard cheese and was told ithe Sald Shooter did it well.

My Cuisinart is big and heavy and stored under my counters so it's a real pita to get it set up, cleaned and put away. 

I now grate my Pam on a rasp since I don't usually need a whole lot of it at a time.

And I know Ina Gatem shreds her Pam in her big FP in big quantities and then stores it in fridge or freezer.

I could manage that since it’s be a very occasional job.

if you are going to look for a grater that is non-eletric

look for the kind that

@blue_dolphin 

suggested

you get a lot of leverage w the longer handle

smaller rotary units  

ie https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Rotary-Cheese-Grater/dp/B0000CCY1U  this type

whether microplane or not  do not give you tat advantage.

and are too flimsy for harder cheese

for M&C , which generally enjoy a softer melting cheese

@andiesenji 

suggestion is worth remembering

firm up that soft cheese first.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, boilsover said:

You might like one of these graters with West Blade technology.  https://www.gourmetinsider.com/lifetime-debuts-west-blade-graters-and-zesters-at-williams-sonoma/

I fooled with these at the 2017 IHHS show.  Lifetime Brands' head of development showed them to me.  I was prepared to be underwhelmed, but this blade design is truly wonderful.  The cutting edges are recessed, they cut in both directions, and are easy to clean.  Good ergonomics, too.

The West Blade citrus zester is semi-miraculous, insofar as you get all zest and no pith.

I looked for the rotary model pictured but could not find it.

Edit:  never mind, found it...

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/west-blade-soft-touch-rotary-grater/?pkey=e|zyliss%2Brotary%2Bcheese%2Bgrater|100|best|0|1|24|%2Fzyliss-rotary-cheese-grater|3&sku=4461286&group=1&searchPfm=thematic-page

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

29 minutes ago, rotuts said:

if you are going to look for a grater that is non-eletric

look for the kind that

@blue_dolphin 

suggested

you get a lot of leverage w the longer handle

smaller rotary units  

ie https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Rotary-Cheese-Grater/dp/B0000CCY1U  this type

whether microplane or not  do not give you tat advantage.

and are too flimsy for harder cheese

for M&C , which generally enjoy a softer melting cheese

@andiesenji 

suggestion is worth remembering

firm up that soft cheese first.

The West Blade that @boilsover mentioned apparently has gear reduction to make up for lost leverage.

Another manual grater that caught my eye was this one:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/giada-wood-handled-conical-grater/

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Btw, this model does have the fine shredding drum

Pro Model

Pretty sure it's not just semantics -- the difference between shredding and grating.

Grater10292017.png

Here is my old box grater, please pardon the parmesan.  To my eye the holes on the right resemble the holes in the picture of the fine shredding drum from the Salad Shooter link.  In contrast the star shaped holes on the left are what I use for grating.

3 hours ago, lindag said:

See the link in my original post

Oopsie, I saw the second link and missed the first.  I'm interested in this too because I have the big Breville FP and mostly it stays in the cupboard because I don't like digging it out and cleaning it either.  I have a rather old mini Kitchen Aid thingy that will process small jobs and also has a shredding blade that I use for cheese.  I fear it is on its last legs as a piece of the plastic on the bowl where it locks onto the top has broken off and i dont know how much longer it will last.  Interestingly, a fellow I know who owns a kitchen shop told me that KA parts are virtually impossible to get.  He says the KA attitude is "let them buy a new one".  OTOH, he says Cuisinart stocks pieces from way back and he never has a problem getting them.

Jo, 

I ordered the Pro salad shooter and will let you know how well it works when it arrives next week.  I think it just might be the answer to my cheese grating woes!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lindag said:

Jo, 

I ordered the Pro salad shooter and will let you know how well it works when it arrives next week.  I think it just might be the answer to my cheese grating woes!

I'm looking forward to your report.  Might just be what I'm looking for.  Although I didn't know I was looking for anything until I read your original post.xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2