• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

weinoo

A Small NYC Kitchen Reno 2017

4 hours ago, dcarch said:

Very beautiful board. Weights a ton. Have your wood shop make a smaller one with matching wood for heavy chopping.

Beautiful project. Worth all the aggravations and $$$.

dcarch

I actually will not cut/chop much, if at all, on the butcher block - I have a beautiful, end grain, thick cutting board for that, from the Boardsmith in Pennsylvania.

And for real chopping, such as hacking up a chicken, I pull out an old wood or plastic board and a heavy Chinese cleaver, and go to town!

• Like 2

@weinoo That is a beautiful addition to your new kitchen.

13 hours ago, weinoo said:

I think my copper pipes touched each other inappropriately.

This sucks, and so sorry to hear. From everything I've ever read, sell the house as-is.  Some minor cosmetic freshen-up might not be a terrible idea, but most people, when they buy a house or apartment, want to do it in their own inimitable style.

In almost every market, you will not get your money out of doing repairs or upgrades.  In some market conditions, a few small changes (paint is the most common, easy one) will make a house sell faster, but probably not for more money. 

If there is something like a leaking roof, though, fixing that will prevent damage, and is a selling point. 

• Like 1

The first home we owned was a flat roofed one that leaked all too often.  Can't tell you how many tubes of Black Jack we squeezed

on that thing!  When we listed the house I asked the realtor about how to respond if asked if the roof leaked.  She told us that if it

wasn't leaking when the question was asked, I should just say "no".  I have always been grateful that no one asked the question.

On 12/8/2017 at 7:00 AM, weinoo said:

This arrived, and is being given some extra tlc before I let it get installed.

5a2a8c7e6fa0d_2017_12_0704288.thumb.JPG.4db426099c2a317fccf3191e82bb0990.JPG

It's from a woodworking company in Massachusetts, called Sprague Woodworking. Maple, beautiful job they did. Got it when they said I would, just 2 weeks from the date of order until delivery. Quite reasonable.

What does everyone think  - can you over-oil a board?

I don't think you can over-oil a board, especially if you live in a dry climate. We brought a 3 x 5 Boos countertop for an island counter in our kitchen when we moved down here, and I find I have to oil it frequently during the dry season. Of course I use it as a big cutting board and prep area which beats it up a little bit, so I keep a bottle of mineral oil around for touch ups. And when we go away for a day or 2 we oil it heavily before we leave. I think you'll find that you'll need to oil it periodically to keep it looking as beautiful as it does now. It is a gorgeous hunk of wood, isn't it?

And my sympathies for your remodeling woes. There's nothing quite so disheartening as looking at the mess of tools and materials lying around your kitchen. You're fortunate to have access to another apartment while yours is in ruins. Fingers crossed that you'll be finished enough by the end of the year to move back in.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 1

On 12/8/2017 at 9:02 PM, IowaDee said:

The first home we owned was a flat roofed one that leaked all too often.  Can't tell you how many tubes of Black Jack we squeezed

on that thing!  When we listed the house I asked the realtor about how to respond if asked if the roof leaked.  She told us that if it

wasn't leaking when the question was asked, I should just say "no".  I have always been grateful that no one asked the question.

A roofer who was working on the roof of the shop I used to work in said "They are two kinds of flat roofs.  The ones that leak today, and the ones that leak tomorrow."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, dscheidt said:

A roofer who was working on the roof of the shop I used to work in said "They are two kinds of flat roofs.  The ones that leak today, and the ones that leak tomorrow."

There are three kinds of flat roofers. The one who gives you flat roof that leak today, and the other gives you flat  roof that leak tomorrow.

However if done by a qualified roofer who knows how to build, flat roofs should not leak.

But back to kitchen /home renovations. Plan carefully. Due to major hurricanes and fires, significant labor and material shortage is here and will be much worst in the coming months (may be years).

dcarch