• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Small NYC Kitchen Reno 2017

weinoo

16 hours ago, weinoo said:

Yes, both fridge doors open to their maximum.  The fridge extends beyond the depth of the wall just far enough for the doors.  The wall on the other side is actually 6" away; I wanted that space to keep my step ladder! 

Here's the right side fridge door, fully opened.

I am SO jealous!  >:( xD

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chromedome said:

I have a toddler granddaughter constantly in the house now, and no really suitable place in my current rental's kitchen to put it, so I think my magnetic strip might be relegated to holding screwdrivers in my utility closet for a while. 

Inside an upper cabinet door?

Not really a practical option with these cabinet doors. Also, where it's a rental, I'd be reluctant to screw into something relatively permanent like the cabinet doors. I avoid anything going into the woodwork, as well, since the house and its moldings are almost a century old now and a lot of it still has the original finishes. Walls are fine, because it's easy to fill a small hole with plaster, but I'm respectful of the wood. 

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, dscheidt said:

Inside an upper cabinet door?

The force of opening and closing the door will make all the knives fall. 

---------------

A beautifully designed practical kitchen. Makes you want to cook in it;  Unlike some other modern "showcase" kitchens

dcarch

12 hours ago, dcarch said:

The force of opening and closing the door will make all the knives fall. 

---------------

A beautifully designed practical kitchen. Makes you want to cook in it;  Unlike some other modern "showcase" kitchens

dcarch

I had knife rack in cabinet door.  Nothing ever fell off, and i'm not terribly gentle about closing them.

9 minutes ago, dscheidt said:

I had knife rack in cabinet door.  Nothing ever fell off, and i'm not terribly gentle about closing them.

It depends on the following:

1. The weight and shape of the knives.

2. The composition of the knives' metals (alloy)

3. Type of magnets.

4. Size and age of magnets.

5. Distance of magnets to knives.

6. Type of door hinges. Some hinges are soft closing.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

• 9 months later...

Just had a good look through this thread, loving the results Weinoo.  How are you finding the Wolf range?  We are getting one of their rangetops in our kitchen renovation, I can't wait to get my hands on it - particularly as I've been cooking on a useless plug in induction plate for the past twelve weeks 😫

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, &roid said:

Just had a good look through this thread, loving the results Weinoo.  How are you finding the Wolf range?  We are getting one of their rangetops in our kitchen renovation, I can't wait to get my hands on it - particularly as I've been cooking on a useless plug in induction plate for the past twelve weeks 😫

The Wolf is great.  The range top cranks out some major heat, and the oven is spot on with its temperature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 1/29/2018 at 7:25 AM, weinoo said:

NYC apartments - as you know, you gotta use every little nook and cranny and square inch.

We’re not even in NYC or an apartment and I use that space. :D Ours isn’t quite 6” though due to a doorway with trim, so I stuck some command tool holders on the side of the fridge and it’s where the broom and Swiffer and dustpan live. Not on show but very handy to grab.

I have so much drawer envy. So organized. So nicely sized. Our kitchen has cabinets from ~1950 and the drawers are absurdly shallow.

Edited by quiet1 (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/16/2019 at 5:15 PM, PassionateAmateur said:

Weinoo --

Where did you order the stainless pegboard from?  My Brooklyn apartment still has un-utilized wallspace! 

I just saw this, while looking for pantry pictures.

If you're still looking, the pegboard and hooks, etc. etc. came from ...

Diamond Life Gear

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?