• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Small NYC Kitchen Reno 2017

weinoo

9 minutes ago, caroled said:

This is so great and I couldn't be happier if it were my own. I look forward to seeing all the fabulous meals you prepare!

Now you've gone too far.  Happy as I may be for Weinoo, I'd be a little happier if he'd built it out for me...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, caroled said:

This is so great and I couldn't be happier if it were my own. I look forward to seeing all the fabulous meals you prepare!

I'm so tired I just want to go out to eat.

But...once it's done...

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

The end is nigh...(I hope)...

5a4ede9304e73_2018_01_0405059.thumb.JPG.316f01651484a83ddb793ec36a44a7b4.JPG

5a4ede9f1f8fe_2018_01_0405061.thumb.JPG.2481966ba45c923728847c6613fc6f49.JPG

5a4edea6287c6_2018_01_0405064.thumb.JPG.a9c0eec5495d65760edc17470869d7f6.JPG

5a4edeb904ba3_2018_01_0405065.thumb.JPG.8d6f7d8444fae72bade06ac61242f734.JPG

5a4edec37c715_2018_01_0405066.thumb.JPG.7768391fff38db8c3ffcb2edd633eeb4.JPG

5a4edf8e6bf7d_2018_01_0405069.thumb.JPG.0a42e29eed8bf34144bf8d7dc5010cac.JPG

5a4edec6ccd20_2018_01_0405070.thumb.JPG.6fe0abf7f7603c35231bf8e02f6af585.JPG

I ended up putting a magnetic knife strip at each end of the counter above, as I felt the stainless shelves were in the way, had I put them on the panel next to the fridge.

I ordered 4 more of those rollout shelves shown for that 18" pantry; I'll going to try and keep all my dishes and glassware on those, which are just perfectly in reach of the dishwasher. Wine glasses can go in that wall cabinet above the counter.

There's a shelf that goes on the riser in back of the range, that didn't make it into these pictures.

There are a few weirdnesses that I haven't decided whether I want to correct or not.  The butcher block is actually thicker than the quartz counter top by about1/16", so there is more of a lip on one side of the range, unnoticeable to anyone except the damn cook.  Evidently, stone is cut in cm, and I was told to order the butcher block 1 1/4" thick. Just another reason contractors drive me crazy.

The sink is literally 30% larger in cubic inches than my old sink. Both deeper and wider, and I think I really like it.

I am keeping my fingers crossed to be 100% done with kitchen and bath by end of next week. Still have to receive and install the vanity, and the kitchen sink drain/strainer is being replaced, as the plumber tried to get by with a different drain than i originally ordered, since they lost that one. I simply reordered a new one, and told them to replace the one they had put in.  And the floor will get a buffing and another coat of finish.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 14

Tasty Travails - My Blog

4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Stunning!

What will go on the shelf over the long prep counter?

Love to see another picture when you have everything in it’s place.

Good question - I was thinking of various mason jars with rices, beans, pulses, etc.  The shelf won't hold a ton of weight, so I need to choose carefully.

I'm gonna wait until the floor is redone before I really start unpacking. I'm pretty tired of cleaning sawdust!

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

Or frequently used herbs, spices in nice containers!

I actually bought custom made inserts for a few of those drawers; I hope to have them next week.  One is for spices/dried herbs.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 4 weeks later...

for all intents and purposes, the project is finished.  I have not yet paid the final bills for either my designer/architect nor contractor, as I'm waiting to get the final signed off document from our Department of Buildings. I'll need that to show the coop, which will also get me my deposit back.

In any event, a few pics; I've not yet settled on where everything goes (that's gonna take a while), and I'm only a little aggravated about a few things.

5a6e154842544_2018_01_2205350.thumb.JPG.dc93968e5b1525958370e5e95f4a0116.JPG

Like the above. Note the height of the shelf to the left of the range, and the shelf on the range itself.  Wolf sells that riser with shelf - it's a 20" riser with shelf.  So I figured the shelf would be at 20", which is the height of the shelf to the left of the range ( and nowhere on the documents or drawings was this made clear).  Obviously, it's not, and though I could retrofit the shelf to sit higher on the riser (by drilling a few new holes into the riser), I'm just going to get used to it as it is.

From the opposite side:

5a6e1549efcb5_2018_01_2205354.thumb.JPG.5ad49a0bd88499cb23e6d7830db78e4b.JPG

I really like these custom inserts, and at some point, everything will be in its proper place.  I could be really anal and get all matching spice/herb jars, but really?

5a6e154cc80e8_2018_01_2805371.thumb.JPG.d142b94269fcbd05a93485203fcc3124.JPG

5a6e154eba4a5_2018_01_2805372.thumb.JPG.124efb946f89871a74c98b3d5e1c6d17.JPG

5a6e155090edb_2018_01_2805373.thumb.JPG.3c5b4d6c672d771f759d57e2a2d56ca1.JPG

5a6e15527fcc9_2018_01_2805374.thumb.JPG.ae10675a9e153dbf05c377c7c5dce1d0.JPG

And a bit of the other side...

5a6e15a1177b2_2018_01_2805375.thumb.JPG.e4a9eaa6dab94a7859aa80b3b09139d8.JPG

Starting to come together.

The drawer inserts are all from a company called Drawer Essentials, and they did a very nice job.

• Like 16

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, cakewalk said:

It all looks great and you really maximized your space. But ... are you sure you want those knives with the blades facing up? It's making alarm bells go off in my head just to look at it. 

I'm not @weinoo, but if I had this lovely set-up, that's exactly the way I'd put the knives.  If the points were facing down, towards the counter, I'm sure I'd run my hand into them while tidying the errant coffee grounds on the countertop.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, cakewalk said:

^ Good point. (No pun intended.) But those blades are still making me cringe. 

I can live with the blades but those unmatched spice jars...xDxD

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It looks wonderful. I have a very bad case of drawer envy! 

@weinoo, when you open your fridge doors, does the left side open fully or does that little bit of wall limit it? I have a similar fridge and a partial wall on the right side prevents me from opening it wide and it drives me nuts. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cakewalk said:

It all looks great and you really maximized your space. But ... are you sure you want those knives with the blades facing up? It's making alarm bells go off in my head just to look at it. 

Absolutely. I will not do myself harm. Everybody else should simply stay away from the knives.

3 hours ago, FauxPas said:

It looks wonderful. I have a very bad case of drawer envy! 

@weinoo, when you open your fridge doors, does the left side open fully or does that little bit of wall limit it? I have a similar fridge and a partial wall on the right side prevents me from opening it wide and it drives me nuts. 

Yes, both fridge doors open to their maximum.  The fridge extends beyond the depth of the wall just far enough for the doors.  The wall on the other side is actually 6" away; I wanted that space to keep my step ladder! 

Here's the right side fridge door, fully opened.

5a6e8d2033590_Fridgeleft.JPG.32855c8ed5fed20d6d387c795833f985.JPG

And here's the niche for my step ladder.

5a6e8d2093e19_Fridgeright.JPG.d2af1cf9bb58e3bf831c3f45c91cbdfe.JPG

• Like 10

Tasty Travails - My Blog

12 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

If the points were facing down, towards the counter, I'm sure I'd run my hand into them while tidying the errant coffee grounds on the countertop.

12 hours ago, cakewalk said:

^ Good point. (No pun intended.) But those blades are still making me cringe. 

Yeah!

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

9 hours ago, KennethT said:

I do the same thing with our step ladder..

NYC apartments - as you know, you gotta use every little nook and cranny and square inch.

• Like 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

15 hours ago, cakewalk said:

When I had mine mounted at or slightly below counter height, I kept my knives with the blades pointing down so the handles would come to hand easily. When I had mine mounted above counter height, I kept my knives with the blades facing up for exactly the same reason. 

I have a toddler granddaughter constantly in the house now, and no really suitable place in my current rental's kitchen to put it, so I think my magnetic strip might be relegated to holding screwdrivers in my utility closet for a while. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning